Point and shoot with manual settings?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Two-Four, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Two-Four macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm entering a graphic design program in September 2012 and the teacher said we will need a digital camera. I'd like to get a head start using a digital camera before I enter. He said point and shoot is perfectly fine, but we need to be able to change the exposure, shutter speed, and other manual settings like that.

I'm pretty new to photography and I'm not sure what brands/models I should be looking at. As for the camera, I'd to keep the price around $150-175 max. Any suggestions in this range?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Or check out Ricoh, and/or dpreview.com. Ricoh make some awesome cameras, including some that aren't mega pricey

4. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Check out Panasonic. The Lumix line has many variations, and some come with manual controls and HD video. I have a ZS6 and use it more than my Canon DSLR. I can carry it with me most of the time. Check out Panasonic reviews on Amazon. I bought my ZS6 at Costco for $179. It was originally $299 and dropped in price when a newer model came out. Canon makes similar cameras so check out review on both brands.