Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I personally would give it to the 3g (where we could actually do things online away from WiFi) it the 4 (where the screen was just an incredible upgrade).

I love the X but nothing knocked my socks off. I guess it doesn’t help Samsung has had a lot of what the x has for a while. No, this isn’t a “samsung Did it first” response, it’s just that I had seen a lot of what we got with the X elsewhere already.
True you saw it elsewhere, but how did it work. Did a picture of your face get you in? Did the screen burn in. Did the phone explode? I use Apple products, everything integrated with ease. So this is first time I have used these features. They seem to be implemented rather robustly.

I realize we are just reverse engineering our way post Roswell crash, but I never got to use the alien tech till now so i’m Impressed with Apple’s implementation. :rolleyes:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
the screen sucks. It’s so yellow it looks like a 20 year old newspaper.

Just turn off TruTone in settings and you’re good to go. I personally love it.

And I love this phone in general. So incredibly responsive. OLED screen is so nice and contrasty. Not a huge fan of the blue tint when tilted, but not a big deal. The notch doesn’t bother me one bit. In fact it looks rather cool, if you ask me. Not a fan boy, just giving my personal feelings.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
My background: I have owned every generation of the iPhone from the very first release to the 8 Plus *except* the 5S, because I was annoyed that Apple didn't release a larger screen model and bought the Samsung Note instead, which I promptly sold once I could get my hands on the 6 Plus. So yes, I love Apple products, but not blindly. (That being said, I didn't miss Android for a second, except for the multi-tap glide feature in Swype).

Lots of people are griping about the loss of the home button, the notch, Face ID, the small size compared to the Plus, etc. Here are my impressions.

The notch: no big deal, I'm already used to it. I kind of like having the two upper corners separated actually.

The missing home button: good riddance! Seriously! Swiping up from the bottom is so natural, I can't believe it took Apple this long to implement it. I was used to it within minutes of using the phone. And the new application switcher is not only easier to access (I really hated the double home button click for some reason), but it's so much easier to tap on the minus button to quit an app than to swipe up.

Face ID: I get that some people are having issues, so maybe I'm just lucky, but it just plain WORKS for me. With Touch ID, I could never get in the habit of checking my notifications before pressing the home button and thereby unlocking the device. I'd pick up the phone, press on the home button, and just as I was realizing I wanted to read the notifications, the home screen appeared. Now, I raise to wake, and as I'm checking the notifications the phone unlocks via Face ID and expands my notifications but stays on the lock screen. A quick swipe up once I'm done and I get to the home screen. When there have been no notifications and I need to swipe immediately, Face ID always unlocks before I swipe. It's crazy fast. I love it.

The size: I went to the Plus the minute the 6 Plus came out and then owned the 7 Plus and (briefly) the 8 Plus. I'm all about screen real estate. But the actual devices always felt just slightly too large for my hands and I have to admit I dropped them not infrequently (hello, AppleCare). The X hits the sweet spot in terms of screen real estate and physical size/shape. It fits perfectly in my average-size hand. Needless to say, it fits in pockets much better too. I thought I would use the Plus devices in landscape a lot more than I ever did, and in fact it seems that everyone else has pretty much adopted portrait as the default smartphone mode. I basically only rotate my phone to see a landscape photo larger, or to watch a video. Therefore I absolutely do not mind the fact that the X has a narrower screen vertically.

Overall: interactions with the phone are super smooth, fast, and extremely pleasant. The supreme ergonomics of no longer needing to switch between tapping/swiping and physically pressing a button cannot be overstated. The screen looks amazing. The flashlight and camera buttons on the lock screen are awesome.

I always get excited about a new iPhone release only to feel slightly let down when the device turns out to be not that life-changing. This is different. The X is so amazing to touch, hold, and use. It's gorgeous.

It's a masterpiece.

I agree. And this is coming from someone who was very very skeptical about this phone. My favorite iPhone so far. I am loving it. Well said.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I really don't know why there are so many people hating on the X. After only 24 hours with it I couldn't fathom going back to a previous model. It's a close to perfection as any device I've ever owned.

Most of those are iPhone 8 owners who can’t afford to return theirs or those who aren’t iPhone fans to begin with . Very few are those who genuinely dislike it.
Also most love their phone. The dislikes are like the vocal minority

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Most of those are iPhone 8 owners who can’t afford to return theirs or those who aren’t iPhone fans to begin with . Very few are those who genuinely dislike it.
Also most love their phone. The dislikes are like the vocal minority

I have to disagree with you. I think the iPhone 8 owners are not against the iPhone X because they can't afford it, it's likely because they still prefer touch ID after it's matured all this time and they may not be interested in the iPhone X for other reasons. I think it's excellent that Apple gave us options for different iPhones, because not everybody wants the same iPhone.

Reactions: jbachandouris

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I have to disagree with you. I think the iPhone 8 owners are not against the iPhone X because they can't afford it, it's likely because they still prefer touch ID after it's matured all this time and they may not be interested in the iPhone X for other reasons. I think it's excellent that Apple gave us options for different iPhones, because not everybody wants the same iPhone.

It’s not an option if it’s the last time it will be used. It’s the final hurrah

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
True you saw it elsewhere, but how did it work. Did a picture of your face get you in? Did the screen burn in. Did the phone explode? I use Apple products, everything integrated with ease. So this is first time I have used these features. They seem to be implemented rather robustly.

I realize we are just reverse engineering our way post Roswell crash, but I never got to use the alien tech till now so i’m Impressed with Apple’s implementation. :rolleyes:
The comparisons I made were strictly based on the statement that this was the best phone upgrade ever. Things with the 3g and 4 surprised me. Nothing really surprised me here. I don’t do anything better than I did before.

I can’t really comment on blowing up phones or burn in because we haven’t had them long enough though I don’t expect explosions. Burn in, apparently Apple has mentioned so... maybe?

It’s a superb phone. I think we’ve just been spoiled by a decade of constantly evolving phones. I’m not sure what it would take for me to feel the way I did with the iPhone 4. That was like the day I got my first HD tv. Sure the jump from 1080p to 4K is *technically* greater than the jump from 480 to 1080. But it sure as hell doesn’t feel like it.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I owned both and I chose the 8 Plus. Not because I couldn't afford the X, I just didn't want it. I don't love it as much as others seem too. The things you see as pluses do not appeal to me. I don't want a lighter phone. I don't want a narrow screen with smaller text and a cramped keyboard. I don't want the notch.

As for Face ID, I was totally ok with it. It worked fine for me. Not a huge fan of the missing home button, but I could've lived with that.

Just because someone doesn't like your choice, doesn't mean they can't afford it.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
Itll be the best iPhone upgrade for about 10 months until the next iPhone. The next OLED iphone September 2018 will be true perfection.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Gotta agree with everything except the screen size. They really should have made the screen at least as wide as the Plus.

The extra height and the narrower width just do not make the screen feel larger. The narrowness makes it feel like I’m using an iPhone 5 again. And compared to the Plus, I don’t get any extra content with that height.

Then again, I’m coming from a Plus. For those coming from 4.7 inch screens, I’m sure this will be a great upgrade.

Besides screen size, am I the only one not impressed by the OLED panel? Everything is duller compared to my 7 Plus. Also much dimmer at every brightness level.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I imagine there’s a degree to both. I hate using the term “afford” myself. If I had a reason not to get the X it’s because I couldn’t justify it. I had a bit of mental struggle with dropping $250 more on a phone than I did my last one despite my last phone serving me perfectly fine.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Zero interest no debt .....money invested earning interest, using their money to pay for it. Paying 1/24 per month to use it. :) :apple:X

Curious....Do you smoke, drink booze, buy Starbucks, lease or finance a car, have home mortgage? Shame or are you Unibomber living in shack in the woods? Oh wait......you on here too, so must have some device...shame.:cool:
No, I don't do debt just like I don't do drugs. I have plenty of Apple devices but it's unethical to charge a grand for a phone. That people do means that those buyers have swallowed Apple Marketing kool aid. People don't like being told that they have been played.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I wish I didn't have to put it in a case...I got the silver...it's beautiful....I got the otterbox case that has the see through back but I'm so tempted to not carry in a case cause it's so beautiful and hefty...and using it for the last few hours has been nice...I'm coming from the 7plus....

You don't need to put it in a case. Get AppleCare.
[doublepost=1509852655][/doublepost]
No, I don't do debt just like I don't do drugs. I have plenty of Apple devices but it's unethical to charge a grand for a phone. That people do means that those buyers have swallowed Apple Marketing kool aid. People don't like being told that they have been played.

You have this whole scenario set up in your head, it's ridiculous. People who go for the X are automatically "played"?

Sorry, but that is an insane idea.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
The comparisons I made were strictly based on the statement that this was the best phone upgrade ever. Things with the 3g and 4 surprised me. Nothing really surprised me here. I don’t do anything better than I did before.

I can’t really comment on blowing up phones or burn in because we haven’t had them long enough though I don’t expect explosions. Burn in, apparently Apple has mentioned so... maybe?

It’s a superb phone. I think we’ve just been spoiled by a decade of constantly evolving phones. I’m not sure what it would take for me to feel the way I did with the iPhone 4. That was like the day I got my first HD tv. Sure the jump from 1080p to 4K is *technically* greater than the jump from 480 to 1080. But it sure as hell doesn’t feel like it.
Once you get beyond seeing individual pixels the improvements to screen become less pronounced.
[doublepost=1509857916][/doublepost]
Well sorry to burst your bubble. For $7 more per month i just don’t feel all that played. If I had to shell out $1400 to get the iPhone X, I probably would have held onto the iPhone 7 Plus I had. Was nothing wrong with it. Pristine condition after a year.

But for tax and $7 per month the X seemed worth it. I spent $50 for lunch today and the cost per month for the new phone is a grande mocha latte a month.

In fact I talked AT&T into discounting my land line by $10 a month today for the next year. So I got the new iPhone at no additional cost to me. I don’t feel least bit taken. So no Kool aid, no taken, as for marketing don’t really care. Am happy with the speed, screen, and Face ID. Not because Apple said I should, but because of using the new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.