Point in the Right Direction

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by zyggiepyggie, Mar 14, 2011.

1. zyggiepyggie, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

zyggiepyggie macrumors member

zyggiepyggie

Hey,

I'm pretty new to iOS developing (as a lot of people seem to be these days) and I don't have much prior programming experience. I know bits of HTML, CSS, PHP and C but not enough to move the earth.

Over the last few weeks I've been browsing various sites and working through different Obj-C tutorials but as of late I seem to have hit a bit of a wall. I've also worked through most of the sites on the stickies at the top of the forum. I'm at a stage know where I can fathom out what's happening in someone else's code (basic apps like Fortune Cookies, Currency Convertors) but am not confident enough to write anything of my own.

Did anybody else get to a stage like this whilst climbing the mountain that is Objective-C? How did you overcome it?

Any help appreciated.

2. 1458279 Suspended

I'd say it's very common.
    Take one of the complete sample apps, and make changes to it. Add some small things to it, then make a complete add on...

Example: take a todo list and add on routines to sync up to somthing else. Add on for grouping the todo stuff. Make it so you can mark as done and then move others to another day...

Make it so that you have a time block on the todo list and create to logic to find the next day the time block fits into... offer a choice of the next 10 days the time block fits into...

For this to work, you must start with a very simple app that works properly. Look up how to add more fields to the database and the logic to find empty days that can hold things of a certain time-size...

Repeat this process with different types of apps that get into different areas of the device.

I've been thru this serval times, it can be a slow process to really get the hang of it. Reading books only goes so far, also, with every new book you read, you'll know more of what the book is teaching... so some book will have nothing new to you...

3. zyggiepyggie thread starter macrumors member

zyggiepyggie

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know why I didn't think of that, I had my mind set that I had to start a fresh app...

I'm trying to add a reset button to a cookie crunch app that I made from a tutorial (mobile.tutsplus.com), here's the code I have but it doesn't work:

Code:
    #import "FortuneCrunchViewController.h"

@implementation FortuneCrunchViewController

@synthesize cookieButton;
    @synthesize resetButton;
    @synthesize fortuneLabel;

-(IBAction)crunchCookie
    {
    	[cookieButton setImage:[UIImage imageNamed:@"cookie-crunched.png"]
    				  forState:UIControlStateNormal];

fortuneLabel.hidden = FALSE;
    }

-(IBAction)resetCookie
    {

[resetButton setImage:[UIImage imageNamed:@"cookie-closed.png"]
    				 forState:UIControlStateHighlighted];

fortuneLabel.hidden = TRUE;
    }

-(void)viewDidUnload
    {
    	[cookieButton release];
    	cookieButton = nil;

[resetButton release];
    	resetButton	= nil;

[fortuneLabel release];
    	fortuneLabel = nil;	
    }

-(void)dealloc
    {
    	[cookieButton release];
    	[resetButton  release];
    	[fortuneLabel release];

[super dealloc];
    }

@end
    When the reset button is pressed it makes fortuneLabel hidden but seems to ignore everything else in resetCookie...

I can't see anything wrong with the above (obviously there is)...

I'd appreciate if you could give me a bit of a heads up and I'll be on my way!

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which button's image are you trying to reset?

B

5. zyggiepyggie thread starter macrumors member

zyggiepyggie

Ahhh! I've got it! I was trying to reset the image for cookieButton but in the example above it was changing the image for resetButton...

Thank you balamw! I really do appreciate it.

6. 1458279 Suspended

One side note: Most 'programmers' that I see here are actually doing what used to be two different jobs.
    Systems analysis and design
    Programming

My degree is in Systems analysis and design, NOT programming. I did have to do some programming to get that degree.

Most of the programming I've learned has been self-taught. This is pretty effective way to keep up with ever-changing programming world.

The job of System Analysis is to come up with the design specs for the programmer to code. I was seinor programmer / analysis for Visa and these two jobs were combined. Every company I've worked for had these two jobs combined.

What you're tying to do, is learn how to use a tool (programming) and how to design a system (system analysis/design)
    Getting lost between the two can be expected. Mastering the use of the tool (programming) has nothing to do with knowing what a good design is.

As you learn the one, think about the other, as it will come into play IF you design your own software. If you grind out code for some company, you may or may not have involvement in design.
    Some have given me very explicit directions as to what a screen should look like, and others simply say "make a program that does..."

I think a lot of 'App Developers" are starting out with an idea for a design and learning the tools, not bad, just gotta make sure you don't program yourself into a corner.

Either way, programming skills for IOS / OO are a great tool to have.

Understand, I'm not starting a flame war, just a step back and scratch the chin moment...

7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Either do one of the online courses or get a book and work through it start to finish. When you are ready choose an app to build from scratch.

8. zyggiepyggie thread starter macrumors member

zyggiepyggie

I fully understand this, it's something I have been considering. I feel that I need to get to a stage where programming my own application is within grasp before I start working on any analysis/design stuff. I have designed a few websites and logos in the past and know very basic rules of design but it is something I will need to work on in the future.

I'm not attempting to learn to program because I have an idea that I think could make me fortunes, as I know is the reason for some people. I'm interested in it more as a career change, I currently work in IT Support which kills me a little more as each day passes.

I'm not looking for a fast track method or anything like that as I know it's something that could potentially take years to master, I'm here merely for advice and tips.