Point of getting AppleCare for a UK student purchasing macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gotjack, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Gotjack macrumors newbie

Having looked at the terms and conditions on this page http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_individualHE.html

Specifically the below point

10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products sold after October 1st 2005 within the framework of the HE National Agreement shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period (the “HE National Agreement Warranty”) commencing from the date of delivery.

What is the point of me getting applecare if i already have a 3 year warranty? What are the additional benefits of the cover?

2. molala macrumors 6502a

1 - coverage worldwide, wherever there is an Apple presence. I'm not sure if the HE warranty is UK only
    2 - transferable, think resale value

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Hooray! Someone else who knows about the standard 3 year warranty! :D

The main difference is you get 3 years phone support with Applecare. I don't think it is worth it. Resale value is a point to consider if you think you may sell it on later.

In case you haven't noticed (or in case anyone else doesn't know), the 36 month warranty is only included online or over the phone (see s2.2 of those T&Cs).

4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

So when a uk student buys a new MBP they get a 3 yr warranty for free?

Is this the same as applecare?

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

When they buy online or over the phone through the education store. Not in a physical Apple store.

If you read above you will see there are some minor differences, but I personally think it is worth saving the money.

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

ok thanks

I know its me being stupid but how is this different to apple care for which apples charges students £51?

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Have you asked your bank about insurance. Barclays cover all my gadgets macbook, ipad, tomtom, student flat contents and a bunch of other stuff for £10 a month. Including manufacturer problems and user accidents.

Might be worth looking into