Point of purchase return

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gigabella, Aug 4, 2009.

1. gigabella macrumors member

So Im considering returning my 3Gs and going back to my 2g. Im disappointed in the build quality of this phone...love the speead hate the stuck green pixel on my screen and the loose silent/ringer switch

my 2g felt solid and took 3 tries for me to finally get one without stuck and dead pixels and dirt under the screen.

Question is when it says you have to return the device to the point of purchase...cant I just go to any apple store? Why does it have to be the original....im closer to the store I did not buy it from. All of The stores are so far away from me and its becoming such a hassle but I need to get to one of them before my 14 days are up.

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I was in your situation last month. I bought an iPhone 3GS and it was a downgrade from my 3G in both build quality and LCD screen quality. I had a raised metal edge on one side and my screen had a yellow tint only on the bottom. I think my iPhone 3G is still a nice phone and it wasn't worth all the hassle to keep the 3GS. Also, my HDTV broke shortly after I bought it so I had even more incentive to return the iPhone.

Anyways... I'm on my iPhone 3G now and I still like it a lot. It may be slower, but I have confidence that Apple will improve the way it handles 3.0.

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

You could always try to return it at a local Apple store.

If they say you absolutely have to go to the point of purchase, which is already stated in the iPhone return policy, then just go back to the store that you bought it at.

Seriously, just a get a move on and go back to return it.

4. gigabella thread starter macrumors member

Just called apple 5th Ave in Manhattan ... because that is easiest for me and they said to just bring it in and they will accept the return as long as you have the box, etc.

If they cant replace it I'm going to return it....I'm just disappointed in the quality of this phone for the overall money you will wind up shelling out over 2 years time with AT&T.

5. gigabella thread starter macrumors member

@Spaz....did they reactivate your original 3G in the store or did you do it yourself at home? Im wondering if I will be able to re activate my 2g in the store or if I will have to do it at home or with AT&T.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I completely agree.

7. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Just remember, if you simply "return it", you need to also pay the 10% restocking fee.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

They actually take the sim card with the returned phone. You then have to go to an AT&T store and get a new SIM card and they'll activate the 2G iPhone there for you.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

iPhone customers, definitely an interesting bunch. Not all of them (as I have a 2G, 3G, and 3GS), but some of them. I in no way find the build quality of my 3GS to be worse than my 3G or 2G. The speed increase is enough to make me never want to touch my 3G or iPod Touch ever again. Loose vibrate switch? Sure, but oh well. I can only hear it if I shake it by my ear, and if it breaks it will likely do so in the 1 year warranty period.

I also got an Android G1 recently and the device slide screen was a little lose. But oh well, I refuse to go through the hassle of returning, arguing, etc for a slightly more perfect device. I am not perfect, so why do my devices need to be?

It also seems like these problems follow people in bunches. If someone has a problem, they usually have multiple problems with multiple devices. That blows me away as myself, and everyone else I know personally with an iPhone has had 0 issues. I want to blame user error or just overall user insanity but I guess I don't know the whole situation.

All in all, if you want that zomg-perfect device, you better find a device that no human played a role in creating. As any human made device will never be perfect and live up to your unrealistically high expectations.

Also, how is the 3GS more money than the 2G each month?

10. gigabella thread starter macrumors member

2g equals 20 dollars a month iphone plan 3GS equals 30 dollar a month iphone plan. I dont know about you but 20 X 24 come out less then 30 X 24.

11. gigabella thread starter macrumors member

Reallly? My 2g still has its sim card in there so I would think they would be able to reactivate via IMEI number on their handy dandy little computer they carry around in their holsters.

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I wasn't aware the iPhone 2G customers still had a lower data plan. Save $240 across 24 months, or $0.33 a day. Doesn't seem like much to me, but thats just me.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's not what they do. You'll need to get a new SIM card. It's free.

14. gigabella thread starter macrumors member

Whatevs.....I just dont like green pixels flashing at me....but that's just me.