Point of the 'please rate' feature when deleting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hudzilla, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

What is the point of the feature that asks you to rate an app before you delete it!? If your deleting it then you obviously aren't going to give it full stars.

Pretty pointless really.

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I understand where you are coming from in your ideology. I really think it is there so people who have purchased the app are more likely to rate apps. Some people aren't willing to go on the AppStore and write an actual review, so this gives you the chance to simply give it a certain # of stars and nothing more. If you don't want to rate, then hit cancel.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

:confused:
    Um yeah if you're deleting it, then you most likely didn't like it. Therefore it's important that the app is rated accordingly so.

4. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Exactly, don't see what the problem is lol :confused: If you're deleting it, chances are it's crap, so rate it accordingly and let everyone else know!

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I don't think that is always the case. I've deleted several apps from my phone that I would give good ratings for.

Examples? Spore. I liked the game. After I beat it there was no reason to have it taking up space on the phone anymore. Another would be Around Me. Useful app, good idea and nice interface but I just wasn't using it enough to keep it.

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Sometimes I download a (free) app just to see what it's all about. Oftentimes I delete said app just because I don't need/want it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is poorly designed or non-functioning.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Still functions as a good reminder for you to rate it, if you have not. I guess I ought to delete spore from my iPhone too, since I never replay it. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've rated it either. I wouldn't mind it if I got some kind of minimally intrusive reminder in iTunes to do it also. Ratings like this tend to overrepresent users who have very strong feelings about an app -- but usually 90% of ratings from people who adore or detest an app are useless to me. It's good to have more users who have less strong feelings rating the apps.

My problem is that, most of the time, when I install and delete an app, it's because it doesn't do something fairly specific that I want. So I don't necessarily dislike it, it just isn't useful for me. I don't know how to give it a holistic rating. I'd prefer it if iTunes used a structured three or four item rating scale, like rating it on things like functionality, aesthetics, value, etc.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Sometimes I'll delete an App that I don't particularly find to be useful, but the App does what it was advertised to do and works correctly, so I'll give it 5 stars if I feel it's a 5 star App. That's my take on it. Especially games. I might like the game and think it's fun, but I finished the game and don't need it on my iPhone anymore.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This is a good idea to a point. I think a majority of people would be too lazy to actually complete the process.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This system is reserved for Blogs and website reviews. The vast majority are not going to take the time to log into iTunes Store and compose a review. In reference to the 'you're deleting it so you must not like it' your generally correct, however those 2-star ratings are just as valuable as 5-star ratings for other shoppers.

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh, if you are deleting an app, then more than likely you didn't like it, so you rate it 1 star. That way if the app is crap, people will know. Usually when people will get an app that sucks, they delete it right away and don't write a review. This way people will know if it's trash.

It's like when you uninstall a program, and it asks you why you uninstalled it. Etc.

12. firewood macrumors 604

My guess is that Apple is trying to reduce the load on their servers from the downloading of apps that a high percentage of customers end up not using. If a high percentage of downloads for an app are being deleted, the people deleting that app will strongly tend to rate it down, which should eventually lead to less downloads for that app from people who just want to "kick-the-tires", which will reduce the load on the App store infrastructure.

This will also tend to reduce the amount of stars, and thus the amount of downloads, for those types of free apps, and $0.99 apps, that people might download on impulse, but quickly throw away. Higher priced apps are less likely to be downloaded on impulse, so will be more immune to this down-rating effect.

If a person really needs an app and is interested enough to look carefully, they can find out how useful an app is by reading the actual reviews that are top rated, not just looking at the diluted stars.

13. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I know that if I download an app and its everything i thought it would be and is really good then ill take the time to go to the app store and rate it. However if i download an app that was not worth the time it took to download then ill delete it straight away and not bother rating it. So by getting the option to rate something as you delete (often because its not very good) then it balances out the ratings so that people aren't only rating the good apps and not bothering with the bad ones.

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I doubt this is the case. Generally, free apps are small. Apple has software updates of 500MB that every mac has to download, iPhone updates, 2GB SDK software, HD movies, etc.