Point & Shoot with very fast AutoFocus/Frame rate?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by huntercr, Dec 4, 2009.

1. huntercr macrumors 65816

Gang,

I hang out mostly in the Mac Rumors digital video forum, but I lurk here every once in awhile. :)

So my wife has asked for a new digital camera for Christmas. She is not technically savvy or really have much interest in making photography a true hobby, so I don't think anything high end would be worth it.

She wants a camera that does this:

1) Not heavy
    2) Fast at taking pictures
    3) Flip out screen

Of course we don't want it to be junk either... if it can take reasonable pictures and has a larger sensor, this would be nice too.

#2 is her biggest complaint about her current P&S ( old Canon A95 ) is is slow as sin, I know this is because of the autofocus but it's hard to explain that to her. She "just wants the camera to take a damn picture when she presses the button." :cool:

She seems to be gravitating to cameras that have larger lenses, but are still point and shoot. I thoguht maybe the Canon SX120is might work.

She loved the SX1is ( well actually the SX20is since the store didn't have the SX1 ) but I think it might be too heavy for her and I'll end up having to carrying the camera all the time. :)

Anyone have any good suggestions?

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

I don't know about your price range but the Canon G11 fits very well with your requirements. It is one of the fastest p&s out there, it has a flip out screen, it has a fast (aperture) lens, has a fairly large sensor.

But it is not exactly light as it's made of metal, and it isn't really "pocketable".