Pointer not releasing, no physical problem w/ mouse (was: Virus like behavior on Mac)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Deville, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Deville macrumors member

Hi,
    I did a search but I didn't come up with anything in regards to my problem. It started earlier today, what happens is sometimes when I click on a file or folder to drag it somewhere it gets stuck on the pointer and I cant get it off.

I cannot click on anything, or even drop the file in the trash or anywhere. My only solution is to hit Command+Option+Esc and force quit the finder.

It's becoming more frequent, any suggestions?

Also, I should mention I don't think it is the mouse button sticking or anything.

Thanks for any and all reply's

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have Drag Lock checked?

See pic:

Attached Files:

3. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Sounds like finder is crashing, does the pointer freeze get stuck too? Can you describe it more?

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Check System Preferences->Universal Access and Keyboard and Mouse preferences as well. Make sure nothing is wrong with your settings first. Second, try logging out and back in and/or restarting and see if the trouble continues.

Do you have any interface hacking programs installed like WindowShade or Application Enhancer?

5. Deville thread starter macrumors member

Nope, drag lock is not checked. Funny, after I clicked the image you posted it got stuck to my pointer. Seems it's not just happening in the finder, I had to force quit Safari that time.

No the pointer does not freeze, I can still move the pointer as normal. It is as if the left mouse button is being constantly held down with a file or folder attached to it. The right button also does nothing.

Everything seems to be in order in the System Preferences. I have no interface hacking programs running that I am aware of, sorry not to familiar with them.

Also, I have tried several restarts with no change.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Is this with the trackpad, an external mouse or both? Try a different mouse.

7. Deville thread starter macrumors member

No trackpad, It is a wireless Logitech mouse. I don't have another mouse available at the moment, but if it keeps up I will get one tomorrow.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Does it do the same thing with just the trackpad?

It sounds like your mouse might be bad, or the battery dying.

9. Deville thread starter macrumors member

No track pad, it's an older G4 desktop. Mouse should be good, it is only 2 months old, but I suppose it could be messed up. Batteries are showing 75%

10. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Did you install the wireless Logitech mouse drivers?
    If so check the Logitech software settings, if not, maybe you should.

ps. put the thoughts of viruses in the box with the PC and leave them there :)

11. Deville thread starter macrumors member

Yea, all the Logitech software was installed and ran perfect until yesterday, also the settings all seem to be good. And yes, I will put those virus thoughts in the box with my old PC :)

Update: I found by unplugging the wireless usb adapter for the mouse, it also fixed the problem, which to me means the problem is likely hardware?

12. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm confused by this... do you mean that if you unplug the adapter while it's locked up, then the pointer drops whatever is "stuck" to it, or do you mean that if you unplug and replug the adapter, the behavior at least temporarily disappears altogether?

If the former, it doesn't tell you anything about whether the problem is hardware or software. When you unplug the adapter, the computer behaves as if it lost the mouse connection and so anything it was doing as the result of what it believes to be the mouse state stops (i.e. the object gets "dropped"). If you had a keyboard software issue that was causing it for some reason to repeat characters without stopping, and you pulled the keyboard, in most cases the typing would stop also, as a comparison.

Here are a few thoughts:

1) If your wireless USB adapter has any mechanism for changing its channel or frequency (e.g. a control panel) try this. It could be due to RF interference.

2) If your mouse uses replaceable batteries, try a new set.

3) Depending on how fancy this mouse is, it may also be worth it to try completely uninstalling all the Logitech stuff, and just plug the mouse in and see what happens. Unless you have lots of buttons to which you're mapping various functions, a wireless mouse should not need drivers.

P.S. New thread title. "Virus like behavior" is almost completely meaningless anyway....

14. Frobitz66 macrumors newbie

I have also been seeing this behavior with various Logitech wireless mice. So far, this is the only forum that I've found where this issue is even being discussed.

Things that I've done to temporarily "unstick" the pointer:
    1) Wait ... a long while ... then right-click.
    2) Ctrl-Alt-ESC ... for whatever bizarre reason this sometimes works.
    3) Unplug the receiver USB fob.

I agree that this appears to be a HW issue with Logitech >>wireless<< mice.