Pointers before ipod touch purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by g3ck0, May 1, 2008.

1. g3ck0 macrumors member

I'm about to grab a refurb 8gb ipod touch today without the $20 software upgrade as I plan to jailbreak it. Is there anything in the news today that I should be aware of before pulling the trigger?

If you guys think it's ok, can you just reply with 'no probs'?

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

If you're getting a great deal cost wise, and can't wait a month to buy, then go for it. If you can wait a month, you may prefer the new software upgrades and pass on jailbreaking.

3. g3ck0 thread starter macrumors member

Currently, the refurb 8GB is going for $229, compared to retail which sells for $299. If the new version of the ipod touch does come out next month, it will most likely sell for $299 and refurbs of that version will not be available for much longer right?

Also, I have another concern. When they 'refurb' an ipod touch, do they put in bran new casing so that it should LOOK like it is still in pristine condition?

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I would HIGHLY recommend buying a Griffin iClear case for your iPod Touch.
    Here: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/iclear

Open the case before you open the iPod. Then, open the iPod and put the iPod directly in the case. Otherwise, it will be scratched as hell as soon as you start using it (taking it places, putting it in pocket). Seriously, I'm not joking about the scratch-ability of the back. The front is fine, however.

I did that, and it doesn't have a single scratch. This way I can resell it should I find it necessary.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: It [the refurbished ipod] should come looking brand new/very close to brand new. And I'd buy now, I don't see anything major happening to the iPod touch that can't be given to it through jailbreaking latter on down the road.

5. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Get it from Woot.com come today. Refurb 8g is $230.

6. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Yes, the new versions will be the full price, and refurbs will take maybe a few weeks, but you'd be surprised how many show up in the marketplace on MR within days of release, so it may be worth it to wait.

As far as the new casing on refurbs, my guess is that if they have scratches or issues, they either buff them out, or replace the casing. Either way, you won't get a scratched up, obviously used Touch. The only noticeable difference will be the cost and the packaging.

If you do opt to get the 8gig now, and jailbreak it, I'm sure you'll have the option to restore and purchase the software upgrade when it's released. Assuming you don't brick it. ;) Good luck to you. :)

7. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

I really like the iClear too. I had mine almost a month and even being very, very careful it still got scratched a good amount. My Mom accidentally threw the screen protector that came with my iClear away so I don't have that protection but still love the clear case.