Pointers for taking my MBP on vacation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ophidean, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ophidean macrumors member

Hey everyone:

I will be travelling to Italy in May for a 10 day vacation and wanted to get some feedback from everyone on taking a MBP overseas. I probably won’t be using it much other than on the airplane and in my hotel room. I have yet to fly with a laptop since 911 and was wondering how much hassle it will be? I know airport security is tight these days.
    Also any recommendations for the hotel, I thought about buying a lock for it? I’ve heard some people utilize the hotel safe, not sure if my hotel has one in the room or not…

Any recommendations on a backpack that fits the 15inch MBP would be helpful as well!

Thanks!

2. Eric. macrumors regular

Make sure that the power supply is of the switching variety. You don't want to run 240v through it. ;)

3. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I travel with my laptop all the time. You just have to take it out and put it in one of those plastic bins alone when it goes through the scanner. I always leave mine off, but I'm not sure if it matters. All other electronics like ipods or anything can stay in your carry on. They only make you take out laptops and other large electronics (think xbox or playstation or large video camera) for individual scanning.

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

it is :D

5. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Make sure you're careful...there was a tragic story on the board about someone having his MBP knocked off the scanning table by someone running through the airport. That would suck.

6. Eric. macrumors regular

I assumed so. I'm flying blind on most things around here as I don't have a Mac yet. I'm waiting to see what pans out in June regarding the MBP.

7. Steinberg macrumors newbie

i was under the impression that the MBP power supply switches automatically for use at 240v.
    I'm buying one next week in America but intend to use it in the UK where we use 240v. Can anyone confirm functionality of the PSU?
    Thanks

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Take a look at the tech specs page under "Electrical and operating requirements." I think you're safe.

9. renault4 macrumors regular

your MBP power supply should work in voltages from 110V to 240V, you will need a plug adaptor for the specific country you are visiting; Apple sells a nice converter kit, or there are various plug conversion units around--all you are converting is the pin format on the power plug, no other form of conversion is needed.

All US airports require that you take your laptop out of your carry-on, place it in a separate bin, with nothing else and send it through the X-Ray unit; so you have to get used to filling two bins, one with your laptop, and one with shoes, coat or jacket, etc. I always make sure I have emptied my pockets, cell phone into my jacket or bag before I get to security--too easy to leave small stuff behind. I have had mixed experience in whether the security staff will allow use of a laptop sleeve cover--sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.

Security folk rarely ask you to turn your laptop on, but it is always wise to have some charge there.

If you haven't traveled much, be aware also of the 3-1-1 liquids rules, or you will end up throwing a lot of toiletries and drinks out!

Note, last time I was through Heathrow, they had stopped checking laptops! but maybe that was just through terminal-to-terminal transit areas.

One thing to be aware of is that if you are picking up a connecting flight in europe, try to find out the baggage rules at the connecting airport--though the regs have eased of late, I have seen a lot of folk get caught in transit at Heathrow, because the had a strict one-carry-on bag rule in force.

On your way back, be careful about picking up any duty-free alcohol or perfume; if you have a connecting flight in the US, you will be subject to the same 3-1-1 liquid restrictions and could end up having to dump that bottle of paddy's or Chanel #5

10. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

11. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

I took my newly purchased MBP to Italy last summer for three weeks, I was glad I did too although I was nervous at first.

First thing that really goes without mentioning but I will, back up your data! I got a nice backpack to carry it in, because I wanted to have my hands free and always had it well secured to my back.

I used wireless pretty easily in rome, I paid for internet at the airport and my hotel had free wireless. I left my laptop in the backpack during the day, or in the luggage. I was still paranoid, but I didn't need to be so. The hotel was very safe.

It was great having a laptop on the plane since the flight is so long!

12. renault4 macrumors regular

Which airline are you flying with? You might check out the possibility of seat power outlets...

13. JCT macrumors 6502

SeatGuru is a very useful site for this.

Have safe travels and eat some good food!

JT

14. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I purchased some of the extra large ziplock bags and put my laptop in that for going through security. The bag is clear and not a single request to pull it out or turn it on. The ziplock provides excellent protection while in the bins going through xray.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have an extra battery for the long haul flights in case I need the extra power.