Pointing device for HTPC mini

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Original poster
I have a new mini on the way with a wireless keyboard and I was wondering what people use for pointing devices. I see the options as follows:

a) wireless mouse
b) iPod touch/iPhone using a mouse app
c) Wii controller
d) wireless trackpad (is there such a thing?)

I already have a Harmony remote (610) to control the media aspect of things.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
iPhone/iTouch is pretty good if it's used as an HTPC with e.g. Plex which means it's mainly for movies and such stuff but for almost any other purpose a wireless mouse is a clear winner.

A wireless mouse is ~20$ while iTouch is 199$ so it's quite expensive "remote". Of course I assumed you don't have neither of the above so I would try with the mouse and then get a Apple Remote for movies if needed.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Original poster
I have a few touches that I could "hijack" when needed. Since most things are couch-based, I'm not sure a wireless mouse would work too well. My last mini had a wired kbd/mouse which was a pain to use from the couch. Someone should invent a clip-on bluetooth trackpad for the wireless kbd!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have a few touches that I could "hijack" when needed. Since most things are couch-based, I'm not sure a wireless mouse would work too well. My last mini had a wired kbd/mouse which was a pain to use from the couch. Someone should invent a clip-on bluetooth trackpad for the wireless kbd!
"Hijack" one and give it a try :cool: There are great apps which are made for your purpose so take a look at them. Can't remember their names though :(

If iTouch doesn't feel right, you can always get something else like Remote + wireless mouse etc.

By the way, thanks for including that guide in your signature, really appreciate it! :)

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I currently control my Plex machine with Rowmote for the iPhone. Although the software is very good and let's you control almost everything, a touchscreen isn't really convenient as a remote control.
You always have to look at the remote since you can't feel your buttons.

Going to use this one. It's supposed to work with every device, not only the Boxee box.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I use the Logitech Touchmouse app on my iPhone for the very rare times that I need a mouse/kb on my mini. Anything that's too much work for touchmouse to handle I just screenshare from my MBP.