Pointing device for HTPC mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flopticalcube, Apr 5, 2010.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have a new mini on the way with a wireless keyboard and I was wondering what people use for pointing devices. I see the options as follows:

a) wireless mouse
    b) iPod touch/iPhone using a mouse app
    c) Wii controller
    d) wireless trackpad (is there such a thing?)

I already have a Harmony remote (610) to control the media aspect of things.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iPhone/iTouch is pretty good if it's used as an HTPC with e.g. Plex which means it's mainly for movies and such stuff but for almost any other purpose a wireless mouse is a clear winner.

A wireless mouse is ~20$ while iTouch is 199$ so it's quite expensive "remote". Of course I assumed you don't have neither of the above so I would try with the mouse and then get a Apple Remote for movies if needed.

3. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have a few touches that I could "hijack" when needed. Since most things are couch-based, I'm not sure a wireless mouse would work too well. My last mini had a wired kbd/mouse which was a pain to use from the couch. Someone should invent a clip-on bluetooth trackpad for the wireless kbd!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

"Hijack" one and give it a try :cool: There are great apps which are made for your purpose so take a look at them. Can't remember their names though :(

If iTouch doesn't feel right, you can always get something else like Remote + wireless mouse etc.

By the way, thanks for including that guide in your signature, really appreciate it! :)

5. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Your welcome! Excellent guide. It replaced three links I had before about PRAM, SMC and Safe Boot. 90% of all booting problems solved right there.

When the mini comes, I'll borrow my daughter's leopard skin touch and see if that does the trick.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I currently control my Plex machine with Rowmote for the iPhone. Although the software is very good and let's you control almost everything, a touchscreen isn't really convenient as a remote control.
    You always have to look at the remote since you can't feel your buttons.

Going to use this one. It's supposed to work with every device, not only the Boxee box.

[​IMG]

7. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My Harmony will do the job of the remote. Its only when I want to access the OSX part of the system that I need a pointing device.

8. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I use the Logitech Touchmouse app on my iPhone for the very rare times that I need a mouse/kb on my mini. Anything that's too much work for touchmouse to handle I just screenshare from my MBP.