Pointing iTunes to 8.0 software

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ajm222, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I've got a PC and I've attempted to follow the Apple instructions (which match the instructions posted here) to fix my phone and when I try and point iTunes to the 8.0 download, I can find the zip folder (or regular folder if I extract the files) where the software is, but it won't allow me to just point to the folder and use it. The button on the file explorer window doesn't change to 'install' or 'update' or anything. When I click on it I have to go into the folder, and the the sub-folders, and it ultimately doesn't find an ipsw file to use. Even if I rename the parent folder (by simply putting '.ipsw' at the end of the name, it doesn't work. And of the actual files within all these folders, I don't see a file with an ipsw extension that I can use. I don't know if it's just me, or if everyone here using that fix has a mac and isn't having this issue.

Any thoughts?

2. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

When you download the entire .zip file, do not extract it. Rename that .zip file to .ipsw, then point it to the renamed file and update.

3. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks. i'll give it a shot. pretty sure i tried that already and it didn't work, but at this point i've tried so many different things i can't be positive. will have to wait until lunch or this evening when i get back home. no wifi at work and can't put itunes on the work computer.

4. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

If you're in Windows, it should work.

You'll notice the .zip file icon will change to an .ipsw icon like this one:

[​IMG]