Pointless? Airport Express in the same room for many devices

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Roy G Biv, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

I'm wondering if putting an Airport Express in the same room as many devices (iMac, PS3, iPad, iPod Touch) would likely yield much benefit in connection strength? It's my bedroom, which is about 30-40 feet from the router (Airport Extreme, 5th gen.) with a wooden floor and a couple walls inbetween.

Could the Express receive the signal over the longer distance and through obstructions more strongly to transmit within the room for a good boost?

I have a measly 3Mbps connection.

2. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I can tell you from experience that it worked for me. My router is about 30 feet away from my living room. Without my Airport Express, my AppleTV was reporting two bars of signal strength. With my Airport Express, my AppleTV is reporting 5 bars of signal strength. I also have an Airport Express in a detached room about 40 feet from my Airport Extreme. On a windows PC in that room I get 1 bar without the Airport Express and 5 bars with the Airport Express. I also have a 3Mbps max connection.

3. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I agree, yes it will help. I have 3 express units in various locations (1 being the garage) but use a 'roaming' network & hard wire where possible.