Pointless "must be a credit card" rule

greeley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Upon speaking to apple they refuse to let you pay the tax on the pre-order with anything but a credit card.

No Paypal

No debit card

No apple credit

They also expect you to continue paying for the previous phone's monthly at the same time

Okay so for this checkout, you actually wouldn't be able to use your PayPal account. The purchase would be needed to be made with a credit card.

Sadly you also wouldn't be able to make the purchase with a Apple Store gift card either. for payment of the Apple iPhone upgrade program, the purchase would need to be with a credit card. It cannot be a debit card.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Upon speaking to apple they refuse to let you pay the tax on the pre-order with anything but a credit card.

No Paypal

No debit card

No apple credit

They also expect you to continue paying for the previous phone's monthly at the same time
Is it that way with all carrier upgrade programs?
I have a 300$ store credit gift card I have applied to my Apple store app waiting to use towards the x

greeley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Pretty sure this is so that Citizen One can collect payments no matter what. If you don’t have money in the checking account associated with the credit line they can’t just charge it anyways like they can with a credit card
Thats for the actual monthly tho, im just trying to pay the tax they collect up front so i can place my order.

I dont get paid till the end of the month, so im just trying to cover the up front fee with credit i have saved up in either an apple gift card or paypal.
[doublepost=1508516231][/doublepost]
It's almost like they're using a credit card as an anti-fraud protection measure.

Fraud for what? They have my CC number on file already for my iphone 7.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Yep, has to be a FULL credit card. I tried using the Visa on my Debit but nope, had to be a full-on credit card. After 90 days you can switch it to anything you want.

Always wondered why...

greeley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Is it that way with all carrier upgrade programs?
I have a 300$ store credit gift card I have applied to my Apple store app waiting to use towards the x
This is for apple upgrade plan only, its a rule by the bank issueing the loan.

Odd. In 30 years (12 as an adult) I’ve never come across that.
This is a citizensone thing. They denied me last year for paying with a debit card.

-----------------------

I understand they want something on file, but the card i use to pay the tax shouldnt have to be the same card on file for the montly.

Furthermore they have 12 payments from me. Thats enough proof agaisnt fraud

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
You can use a different credit card when you upgrade on iUP. I did this without a problem, when I got the 8 plus. But it can’t be a debit card/PayPal credit/gift card. Has to be a credit card. After certain month you can then change it to ACH where you can have citizen just take it out of your bank account.

Also they charged me twice for the month of September. And last I checked my statement couple days ago citizen refunded me the charge because they charged me the 12th payment on the 15th of September and again when I upgrade. When they saw that my account for that loan is closed they refunded me the extra payment I made. I didn’t have to contact them about it as I knew they would.

greeley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
You can use a different credit card when you upgrade on iUP. I did this without a problem, when I got the 8 plus. But it can’t be a debit card/PayPal credit/gift card. Has to be a credit card. After certain month you can then change it to ACH where you can have citizen just take it out of your bank account.

Also they charged me twice for the month of September. And last I checked my statement couple days ago citizen refunded me the charge because they charged me the 12th payment on the 15th of September and again when I upgrade. When they saw that my account for that loan is closed they refunded me the extra payment I made. I didn’t have to contact them about it as I knew they would.
I have no reason to have more than 1 credit card lol so im out of luck.

If there was no pre-order quantity problem all i would have to do is wait a few days more my money to clear then order the X but i doubt they would be any phones left after a day

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
I have no reason to have more than 1 credit card lol so im out of luck.

If there was no pre-order quantity problem all i would have to do is wait a few days more my money to clear then order the X but i doubt they would be any phones left after a day
I doubt there will be any phones left after 10 minutes tops

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Pretty sure this is so that Citizen One can collect payments no matter what. If you don’t have money in the checking account associated with the credit line they can’t just charge it anyways like they can with a credit card
But that doesn’t make sense, because the exact same issue will happen with credit cards. If you’ve maxed out your credit limit on your credit card it doesn’t work, same as the debit card for not having money in the bank. Which is why when you first sign up they preauthorize like 3 months worth of payments on the card, to make sure you have enough room to handle that.

I can’t think of any good reason they won’t accept debit (but I know they won’t, I’ve read enough complaints about getting rejected because of using debit).

greeley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
But that doesn’t make sense, because the exact same issue will happen with credit cards. If you’ve maxed out your credit limit on your credit card it doesn’t work, same as the debit card for not having money in the bank. Which is why when you first sign up they preauthorize like 3 months worth of payments on the card, to make sure you have enough room to handle that.

I can’t think of any good reason they won’t accept debit (but I know they won’t, I’ve read enough complaints about getting rejected because of using debit).
Whats the excuse for credit tho?

An apple giftcard is guranteed money and paypal fronts the money so thats also guranteed.

Also people who commit fraud are likely to just fight the credit card charge after receiving the phone.

I could straight out charge the entire phone's price to my paypal no problem but i only keep phones for about a year so i prefer the upgrade plan

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thats for the actual monthly tho, im just trying to pay the tax they collect up front so i can place my order.
If you're saying that you want to pre-pay the monies for the taxes in advance, so you have more available credit on your credit card for the time of purchase, why not just pay those monies on your card now (so it actually has a positive balance). The bank may call you to say wtf?! But explain why.

Reactions: NoBoMac

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I’m in retail management and deal with credit cards a lot. One thing I’ve learned is that just because a banking institution is backing something doesn’t mean all of their rules make sense. A human is behind it at some point.

Also, it could very well be as simple as they’ve been burned by too many debit cards not having enough funds and going over a credit limit happens much less infrequently. That’s simple cost vs. benefit analysis.

Reactions: Cayden and Jimpilot

FellaMeLad

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2015
Where do you do this in the Apple Store app? I've been looking in my Apple Store app on the iPad, but for the life of me can't see where to add my Apple Store gift cards.

Currently, they're sitting in my Apple Wallet app, but would like to have them ready and waiting in the Apple Store app if possible!

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami

No Paypal

No debit card

No apple credit

You can use a debit card as long as it has a visa or MasterCard logo

rwestiv

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Does this apply to buying the phone outright?

I'm planning on just passing full boat, but I always use my debit card.

Ian thus going to be a problem on Oct. 27?

GBA

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Where do you do this in the Apple Store app? I've been looking in my Apple Store app on the iPad, but for the life of me can't see where to add my Apple Store gift cards.

Currently, they're sitting in my Apple Wallet app, but would like to have them ready and waiting in the Apple Store app if possible!
I forgot exactly. When I got the gift card the Apple employee said I could and showed me how. That was 5 months ago haha

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
Does this apply to buying the phone outright?

I'm planning on just passing full boat, but I always use my debit card.

Ian thus going to be a problem on Oct. 27?

GBA
You can use any payment method if you buy it outright, the restrictions are just on he iUP

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Let's end the debate.

Section 1a, first bullet of (https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/)
  • Credit Card. To enroll in the iPhone Upgrade Program you will need a valid and eligible U.S.-issued personal, small business, or corporate/commercial credit card. Debit and prepaid cards are not eligible. Your use of your credit card is subject to the terms and conditions in your cardmember agreement.
[doublepost=1508595365][/doublepost]
I dont get paid till the end of the month, so im just trying to cover the up front fee with credit i have saved up in either an apple gift card or paypal.
Trying to figure out the problem you're trying to solve here (see my suggestion over paying the monies onto the card now, so you have ample available credit at the time of order).
If you have the funds in PayPal, why can't you transfer them to your credit card?
or
If things are really that tight for you right now, why not call up the CC company and have them increase your limit by a couple hundred or so?

Reactions: BigMcGuire