Pointless Weekly Bulletin/ Forum E-Newspaper Idea

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Apples n' Stone, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

Granted; we have the service MacRumours offer us for the latest and greatest stories in the tech world. But what about the little things in life? That bloke who just cut you up in traffic? Your family member just won't Put their shower gel back on the rack? People on social media or at work being stupid make you want to blow your own brains out with a nerf pistol? What if we formed some sort of weekly compilation of the most pitiful stories we can think of, 10/10 it will be better than anything CNN have shown for a good few years. Keep it comical, might be funny, if this takes off it might be a laugh.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What a horrible, and worse, pointless, and downright awful idea. The elevation of the banal, pointless and trivial. Good grief. Not only not a good idea, but one to which I would be implacably opposed.

While I get the theory behind the idea that 'all politics are local', I have to say that I find the local, and the mundane rather boring at times.

However, the inherent negative and nihilistic bias of such a construction also bothers me. This is because if we must pay close heed to the trivial, let us raise a glass in a toast to the stability of the pleasantly mundane rather than find fault with it, or salute the glories of the quotidian, or celebrate the daily delights (coffee shops, bookstores, theatres….) of our lives in the First World.

More to the point, they are minor irritants, not worth the expenditure of emotional energy or psychological bandwidth. Why waste energy, and breath and valuable time, screaming about people cutting in on you in traffic, or failing to put the shower gel back?

Are you serious? This truly concerns you?

Me, perhaps it is down to the fact that I prefer to save my emotional energy for things that matter. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I have worked in Third World countries, countries where my staff have worked for me under mortal peril, where I have had colleagues violently killed, countries where my staff were threatened, impressive and able activists representing civil society arrested or assassinated or imprisoned, where earthquakes and bombs were mere background noise, and brave journalists and artists - and, indeed, democratically elected politicians - carried attempted to answer their respective callings at the possible cost of their lives.

Actually, I can't take a post which elevates and prizes the utterly trivial in order to find a forum or a platform on which to complain about it in any way seriously.

3. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Hmm, it seems as if you're aiming to gather stories about annoyances treated with a bit of levity. Have you heard of fmylife.com?

4. chown33, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

chown33 macrumors 604

And here I am, thinking Facebook is already exactly what the OP wants: the elevation of the banal, pointless, and trivial. (Post your lunch!)

Well, except when it's used for incisive, thoughtful, and serious purposes.
    Which is surely the only way I've ever seen it used.
    YMMV.

5. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

This is funny, as my other active thread is a rant about Facebook for precisley this reason! I wanted to see the humour out of what the people on here ses, 95% pf our community usually has a degree of competence!