pointless, yet witty feature in the new voice memo app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by actorkid, Jun 18, 2009.

1. actorkid macrumors 6502

so i was playing with the voice memo app earlier today. I was randomly just tapping on the screen (not while it was recording) and i discovered that when you tap on the picture of the microphone on the screen, the VU meter jumps....as if you were tapping a mic in real life to test it....

Why apple bothered to do something so pointless? I'll never know....:apple:?

2. yalag macrumors 65816

at what age do you start taking physic classes in the US? :confused:

3. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

uhhhh what?

4. biw999 macrumors member

What does that have to do with anything? If you're implying that the tapping on the screen is creating noise thus setting off the meter, that would be wrong. You can lightly press the screen and the meter still jumps as if someone was screaming into the mic.

5. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, and not to mention that the meter only jumps when you tap the mic, and not when you tap the black space surrounding it...no need to be such a jerk

6. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Failure.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Others have posted about the same thing, so you're not alone in being surprised.

8. superxero3 macrumors regular

9. superxero3 macrumors regular

no, if you tap directly on the actual iphone microphone the needle BARELY jumps, if you tap the black area around the picture of the microphone on the screen the needle doesn't move, but if you touch the picture of the microphone it spikes

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The quoted post is why I read these forums sometimes. The laughs are frequent. :D

11. The General macrumors 601

Incorrect. Tapping anywhere but on the microphone does not trigger a needle jump. It's just a funny easter egg.

Also, the little red light next to the meter flashes when you tap it, and it doesn't when you talk into the microphone.

12. biw999 macrumors member

Read my above post and the TCs post.

13. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I'm sure they just did it to be cute... not something we need to bring a physicist to confirm :)

14. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

*sigh* why don't people READ..or just try it themselves

if you just TOUCH the mic as lightly as you can, the needle still jumps. If you touch the black area around the mic with the same intensity, or even a LOT more intensity, the meter doesn't jump at all....this isnt due to the sound made by tapping....it's clearly a design choice by apple

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So what's your theory on why the black part of the screen around the mic doesn't do it?