Poised to Buy an iPad - Questions First

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mprofit, Jun 17, 2010.

1. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

As the title says, I'm wanting to purchase an iPad for myself within the next few weeks. I've got a few questions about the device first, though they're not certain to affect my final decision as I've already weighed the biggest factors.

1. Will first gen. iPhone headphones plug into the iPad? This is probably my biggest concern, as I tried my headphones in another device recently and they weren't compatible. Also, I can't tell if the iPad headphone jack is flush or if there is some indention; if it's flush I suppose this won't be a problem.

2. How much actual space does the 32 GB model come with? This is the model I've had my eye on; price and hard drive space are "just right." Nonetheless, I'm curious.

3. How is your battery life holding up? It's been two and a half months since release, so I'd expect battery life has dropped some in a lot of iPads. I plan to use this device daily, and it would be great if battery life held steady; my iPhone 1, purchased December 2007, still has excellent battery life, so I'm hopeful for similar longevity with the iPad.

4. How does video converted for iPhone use look on the iPad? I'm not expecting DVD quality, but really something presentable, as movies/TV shows will constitute a huge chunk of my usage.

5. Does it get uncomfortably hot? A big reason I've not purchased an Apple TV is due to the array of complaints about hot it gets. My iPhone gets noticeably hot as well.

6. BONUS: What is your favorite feature/thing about the iPad? Just for fun.

I'd appreciate any feedback, whether related to the questions or not. Thanks!

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

1. No idea, haven't run into a set of headphones that don't work with it. I've used the newer Apple IPhone headphones, Diddy Beats, and Skull Candy Full Metal Jackets, all worked fine, as well as the controls.

2. 29GB

3. Battery is incredible. With light or moderate use, I've gone 2 - 3 days before a recharge.

4. Haven't noticed. I have converted vids specifically for IPad lately.

5. Never had a heat issue, just wifi issues.

6. That it is always on, no booting up, just hit the home button and you're on.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

1. Will first gen. iPhone headphones plug into the iPad?
    I see no reason why not, so yes.

3. How is your battery life holding up? Epic. Lasts all day and then some.

4. How does video converted for iPhone use look on the iPad? Not bad at all but I don't have many on there.

5. Does it get uncomfortably hot? I've heard reports of it getting hot during extended use in bright sunshine doing graphically intensive stuff. To the rest of us, no.

6. BONUS: What is your favorite feature/thing about the iPad? It just works. Turn it on and it's there. That and iBooks.

4. BigCatz macrumors member

If you want to know how warm an AppleTV gets, just pop into an Apple store and put your hand on top of a display model. In a store the other day in the evening, and I'd describe it as warm but not overly hot, a little warmer than my router (Dlink DIR655).

5. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

3. On my wifi model, it EASILY lasted an entire day under heavy usage...multiple days with normal usage! I was putting 3-6 hours per night on it and it would only be down 20-40 %. The 3g model I have not is not as efficient. Well, it is if I turn off the 3g and Edge connections, but even in my own home, if I get out of range of the wifi, the 3g will kick in. Sometimes I turn off the 3g if I am going to be sitting still for while, worried about power lasting all day...but that is the coolest thing about the iPad...the ability to get up and go.

5. The only time I have noticed it get hot is if I leave it on and stick in it's neoprene bag. I am sure it is generating a little heat, but it dissipates it very nicely I guess because it is never too hot...or even too warm. This is a big deal for me compared to laptops, especially in the summer, because the rest of the body would be the right temp, but my lap would be HOT! But then the iPad is held differently...and that is a beautiful thing.

6. Freedom from a laptop. I know people argue the merits of the iPad in place of a laptop, that it is NOT a laptop replacement. But, I disagree. It has completely replaced my laptops. For me, I never did any real serious work on a laptop anyway because everything I do I want/need a large of a monitor as possible. I have 4 laptops in my house right now, all different sizes (11", 12", 15, and 17"). But they are either too small or too big...too big to carry around, or too small to be useful. Don't get me wrong...I did a lot of work on a lot of different laptops over the past 16 years. From presentations out in the field, to editing ss, ppt, frntpg, doc, db, jpeg, psd, etc. But I had grown really weary of carrying a laptop back and forth to work and has switched to putting as much content on Google Docs and using a jump drive for everything else anyway because my 28" monitor with 2nd dual monitor at home, or my tri-monitor extended desktop at work are far better for editing stuff. Anyway, point is...the iPad is a freedom from the laptop, similar to have the laptop was a freedom from the desktop. I have realigned my computing to do what the iPad does best and that is get up and go. I don't have to sit in my lazy boy with 17" laptop in my lap, with lap rest, with fan, with mouse, with powercord, etc. When I need to do something that the iPad doesn't do a great job of...I get on a desktop.

6. superflush macrumors 6502a

1. They should definitely work. The port is flush.
    5. Never had a heat issue. I've never had it outside on a crazy hot day though. also, having it in a case doesn't help. There was a NYT article about this.
    6. Instapaper. Reeder.

7. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

1. Will first gen. iPhone headphones plug into the iPad? no idea but from experience I've never had to use headphones with my iPad

2. How much actual space does the 32 GB model come with? 28 - 30gb

3. How is your battery life holding up? 15 hours light/medium use. Sometimes more. (web/email and the occasional game)

4. How does video converted for iPhone use look on the iPad? no idea sorry.

5. Does it get uncomfortably hot? nope, never even got warm for me. Not even close.

6. BONUS: What is your favorite feature/thing about the iPad? browsing the web. It's gorgeous and really relaxing with an iPad. I never use my pc for browsing anymore unless I absolutely need to. It's made my iMac seem like a chore..

8. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Good to read peoples responses to this thread.

9. windowpain macrumors 6502a

3. How is your battery life holding up? I put the brightness down to minimum (still bright enough) and I get a about 16-17 hours I think.. never been able to get it below 20 percent in a day. Thats using it too, I don't mean on and not using it (like a laptop usually is), I mean streaming video for 17 hours!

4. How does video converted for iPhone use look on the iPad? I use airvideo, and they look pretty good. You can stream 720p trailers from the imdb app and they are gorgeous. The screen is fantastic, it really is.

5. Does it get uncomfortably hot? Stone cold. similar to my macbook when it isn't on.

6. BONUS: What is your favorite feature/thing about the iPad? I love the long battery, great screen, and the fact I can watch the world cup on it.
    The keyboard is also surprisingly good and isn't too bad to type on. Not as good as a 'real' keyboard, but it does the job.

10. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

These are all fantastic responses everyone. I especially enjoy hearing people taut the "insta-on" feature of the iPad, as this is one of the biggest draws for me.

Really happy, too, hearing the impressive battery life stories; Apple claims ten hours, and some people are getting 17? Wow!

Regarding Wifi: I'm wondering if anyone has had any of the Wifi problems on their iPad that have been highly publicized? I just visited Apple's iPad Support site, and there were many many threads on just this problem. I'm sure this is less of a problem than it appears, but nonetheless...

Also, this probably belongs in another forum section, but does anyone have Apple's iPad case? I'd love opinions on that product as well, as I'm likely to purchase it if/when I buy the iPad, but I've heard mixed reviews.

Thanks everyone.

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I've had absolutely no WiFi problems.
    I have the Apple case, and I could not be happier. I've seen the whining about it from people who don't even own one. All bullsh#t. Of course, they're hard to come by . . .

12. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

The information you have requested is easily available anywhere. Even I knew the headphone jack was flush and this has been the case on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, etc. Apple use a standard 3.5mm headphone Jack on their products, so no converter required. As for battery life it's simply amazing, well over 10 hours and Apple could have made it longer my expanding the battery width just enough to fill up the gap between the frame.

As for the wifi issues, yes the iPad wifi and 3G will drop and reconnect very quickly even on my Apple Airport Extreme. You go into settings and wireless and just watch it disconnect and reconnect. This seems to be software related, not hardware.

13. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

1. Will first gen. iPhone headphones plug into the iPad? 've tried a few different pairs, i honestly dont see the headphone port being an issue for most headphones

2. How much actual space does the 32 GB model come with? i dunno, i got a 64GB, but had 61GB after activating it.

3. How is your battery life holding up? It blows away any laptop ive ever used. atleast 10 hours of video usage, with moderate use a charge lasts about 3 days.

4. How does video converted for iPhone use look on the iPad? If done properly its fantastic, great for watching movies in bed (away from direct sunlight)

5. Does it get uncomfortably hot? pretty sure mine never even gets warm, seems more like my hands are warming it up

6. BONUS: What is your favorite feature/thing about the iPad? In short the sheer convenience it provides, so much so its replaced my new imac in nearly every respect. its always on, easy to use, can be used easily when walking about. Its been a total live saver in a few situations already, i love this thing. buy one!

ps. no wifi problems on mine at all - and i use alot of wifi networks!

14. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

It occurs on all 3G / wifi ipads as it seems to be related to network encryption settings (I use WPA2 with AES - not TKIP). This has been discussed frequently and it's a software issue.

15. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Not mine.

16. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

I've seen numerous posts here and Apple discussions with wireless connection reconnecting on the wifi + 3G variety. If you stay in wireless settings you will see it drop and quickly reconnect. It seems to be related to the ipad renewing the lease. What router and security settings do you use?

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Just because some of you don't experience any issues, wi fi or not, it doesn't mean others don't. Apple seems to realize there is an issue with IPads & wi fi, and have stated they will deliver a fix in the future for it. So if any of you don't mind I am going to go with my own personal empirical evidence, and Apple's own statements. I am happy for all of you who haven't had to deal with the wi fi drops.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362319,00.asp

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3237

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/05/11/ipad-wifi-problems-apple-confirms-update/

The wi fi issue is annoying, but it isn't a deal breaker against getting an IPad. It's just something one may want to know in deciding on making a purchase.

18. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I'm not saying other people aren't having problems, I'm only saying I don't have any problems. And if I have to stay in wireless settings to see the problem, then it doesn't really exist for me, does it? BTW ArmCortexA8, it's a Time Capsule, WPA2.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Yes, even works with remote control feature of iPhone 3GS headphones.
    2. 32gb.
    3. Good.
    4. If you convert it with the right settings, DVDs can look better than T
    5. No. Never gets hot.
    6. Tap Tap Tap!!! No carpal tunnel mouse grip!

You NEED the case. I've tried it 2 weeks without it, and was a completely different experience (worry about scratching / how do u prop it up / typing / etc).

My experience: WiFi through 2 or 3 walls = flaky reception at this time.

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

2. It doesn't come with 32 GB. The OS running takes a little memory so as mentioned above, the actual amount is just about 29 GB.