Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tayluftwaffel, May 22, 2015.

1. tayluftwaffel macrumors member

Doing yardwork, and managed to get some nasty poison ivy on my right hand. It's pretty hard to type at work now.... but I'm on medicine for it, and hoping that it will go away soon.

What are some of your poison ivy stories?

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Poison Ivy? Great 1950s doo wop song by the Coasters, covered many times by many a group. The lyrics in the song say exactly what you need to do, and you're already doing it.

Now I'm mad at you. I have that song stuck in my head. Time to break out the Coasters, the Tokens, and the Nylons. :D :p

BL.

3. tayluftwaffel thread starter macrumors member

Oh haha not the song... I meant the rash. I'm not happy about having it on my hands (or head) either.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I've never had an allergic reaction to poison ivy, or at least haven't developed the allergy yet.i haven't exposed myself in years. My dad however used to contract it after petting my dog who would run off into the woods and rub up against the plants. I've seen some ugly cases in my younger years as a pharmacy intern. Thank god for prednisone.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Consider yourself lucky, Gold.

I was 13 years old. Poison ivy welts covered a good 85% of my body. One eye was swollen shut. Small bubbles had clustered between my fingers. My arms were raw from all the scratching. And just underneath the wrist on my left arm, a single welt the size of a half dollar, with a raised ridge running from it towards my elbow.

My doctor said it was probably one of the worst reactions he had ever seen. Fortunately, I haven't had a single case of it since. It was like I blew my poison ivy load all in one go.

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I don't get poison ivy, but I did have a reaction to cow parsnip this spring. Cow parsnip is phytotoxic - the sap on your skin, once it is exposed to light, causes burns. Not as toxic as giant hog weed, but still annoying. The burns never itched, but they did look rather harsh.

7. tayluftwaffel thread starter macrumors member

That sounds awful.... I just have it on my right hand, and a few other small patches all over my body. I am on the steroids to help control it, but that was very very awful before I got the medicine. eeeeek

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    What's funny, though not as tragic as it could've been, is that I got a little case of poison ivy shortly after writing the above. I helped a neighbor trim some hedges and move some branches, and got into a bit of the stuff. Fortunately, it manifested and remained as nothing more than a couple of small bumps just below my wrists.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup been there done that.... Camping, had it on my shins and legs. Which was a pain in the butt. Needless to say I haven't been camping since! I kid of course, but I have only had it once (knocking on wood!).

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

11. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Contracted poison ivy, took prescribed steroids for relief, steroids resulted in pancreatitis, hospital for thirty-three days...no joy. Moral: Stay the hell away from poison ivy.