Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

So I was at the park today playing soccer with some friends. I accidentally kicked the ball over the goal, it hit a fence post, and bounced into some brush.

I went in and looked for the ball and eventually found it. I was suspicious that there was some posion ivy but I wasn't really concerned because I've always been immune to it. As a precaution I ran some water over my legs to try to wash anything off.

After that I decided to go home so I took off my socks and cleats and started driving home. I looked down at my hand to see a small welt on my hand. I look down and my knees to see welts emerging on them. I said an explicit word and drove home as fast as I safely could.

Here are the precautions I took within 30min:
    - Jumped in to the pool (shocked daily for the past 5 days so it has about 5x as much chlorine as it normally should because its being opened)
    - Ran inside, took a hot shower and rubbed dish soap (degreaser) to try to get out all the oils
    - Used alcohol wipes to try to get out any other oils and washed off the affected areas

I suppose its too late now but does anyone have any suggestions for me. It doesn't itch... yet.

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Be sure not to break the skin trying to get it clean. Using Benadryl will really help with the itch too.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

washing with soap is all you can do really to remove the oils. and since you're not itching, i don't think there's much more you can do.

4. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Hopefully i won't end up looking like this guy.

Attached Files:

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

:barf:

I was cleaning my garden a few weeks ago and got it on my legs. After a week, it really hadn't gotten much better (or worse, thankfully), so I went to Patient First and they gave me some steroid pills that stopped it pretty quickly.

6. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say that would be highly unlikely :rolleyes:
    Benadryl first, and if it doesn't heal on its own, a trip to the doc

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. eMace macrumors member

9. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I think so. It's from www.poison-ivy.org hahah.

I think I'd kill myself. Or at least cut my arm off if that ever happened.

10. Tellegrand macrumors newbie

They do have a chemical you can buy at the pharmacy --- not sure what its called, but its made specifically to get rid of poison iv oils. Sorry not very helpful...but you might google it.:p

11. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I woke up today to find that my welts hand gone down. you can kind of see an outline of where they were but nothing itches.

I guess my efforts paid off or I am still immune or something. :confused:

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure you can say you are "immune" if you still got welts

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

13. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Glad to hear you're doing better. But if you still have welts, you're not immune, just mildly allergic! I'm sure you're washing the oil off as soon as possible had something to do with the mild reaction.

My dad is immune and can work pulling the stuff up all day and it doesn't bother him a bit. He comes up to my house and does spot checks for me frequently.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm fortunate enough to be immune to poison ivy. Thank god- where I grew up, there was a lot of it. My brother and dad always got it, but I never did. I got the pollen allergies instead. :(