Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Out of nowhere this just started happening. Whenever I open Poisened it gives me an error message where it says "Problem with the gift daemon launching or crashing." It then asks if I would like to reset Poisoned to try and correct the problem. I click yes. It then comes up with this error:

"Poisoned was not able to reset from previous versions due to an error in permissions. Can not move incoming folder to trash. Please do that manually."

I tried repairing permissions and restarting, but this did not help. I also moved the Poisoned download folder into the trash but that didn't help. I have also deleted and reinstalled Poisoned with no luck.

Any ideas on a fix?

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
same thing, dont use p2p much so i wasn't worried, but if anyone does know how it fix it...

i tried, deleting prefs (giftd & poisoned), downloaded poisoned again, reset all the gift ban lists etc... restart um yeah

Flyingpig

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2005
The problem with Poisoned is the Gnutella library. It's expired. If you look in the gift.log file, is reports this.

To work around this, quit the application, and modify the file names of the Gnutella library files. Control-click the Poisoned application and select "Show Package Contents". Inside the package, go to the following folder
/Contents/giFT/lib/Resources/giFT

Rename the two Gnutella files, libGnutella.so and libGnutella.la. I just added a number to the end of the name. Now when you relaunch Poisoned, it will be unable to use these expired files, and won't keep restarting them trying to get them to work.

Until a new version of the libraries are released, Gnutella will not be available in Poisoned.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Thanks a lot, worked perfectly.

Does this mean that Poisoned is gonna be pretty weak now without Gnutella? Is Poisoned everyone's recommended fileshare software?

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
If you go to the Poisoned forums , they explain everything. It should be fixed real soon. It's just a hiccup at the moment but it's the strongest P2P in the genre. The other option is XFactor which is pretty similar.

~e

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
mlmac use to be pretty good too, I haven't done any file sharing lately, but I did start up Poison and did get the error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.