Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Monster chasing phenomenon Pokémon GO is finally coming to India, it was announced today (via Mashable). 4G LTE carrier Reliance Jio has partnered with Niantic, publisher and developer of Pokémon GO, to bring the hit game to the country on Wednesday.

The partnership will see thousands of Reliance Digital Stores and other affiliated premises become PokéStops and gyms, where players are most likely to discover the game's iconic characters.

pokemongobattle-800x671.jpg

"It's exciting to see Pokémon fans in India step out and explore their neighbourhoods in search of Pokémon and Jio's disruptive high speed 4G LTE Network will be an excellent way to experience the game," said John Hanke, CEO and founder of Niantic in a press statement.

Since its debut on iOS in July, Pokémon GO has been downloaded 500 million times. Despite the game not being available in India during that time, many fans in the country force-installed the game to join in the global phenomenon.

Niantic updated the game yesterday with new characters, introducing Togepi, Pichu, and other select Pokémon that were originally found in Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver.

Article Link: Pokémon GO Officially Launches in India Tomorrow

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Not sure why people keep saying the game is dead. It's more that the number os users are now normalized from the early rush and bots. The people that like it will keep playing it, and Niantic has plenty of Pokemon to trickle down every now and then to keep the fans playing.
I played the game every now and then, not every day. It's a casual game after all.

Reactions: milo

Aman_5ingh

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
This was a huge hit in the first month here in India, not so much when the game got a region-block (strangely it continued to function in some of the Northern and Western states, still does). Not keeping a huge mobile market like India as a priority really was the final nail in the coffin (apart from the lack of updates and new Pokemon, and bugs).

Reactions: PhiLLoW

ioasis

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
we have to accept that Pokemon Go is no longer as hot as it used to be but still the top app with regard of daily rating.
Look at its rating chart:
G6qzvEy.jpg

Jio Reliance is a new giant in India technology industry, i can see many potentials from this company.
I don't use much service from this company, the only app i used is jio tv with apk: http://choilieng.com/apk-on-pc/com.jio.jioplay.tv.apk on my pc 'cos i don't have any jio sim but jio account), pretty good. I heard on Quora that it's by far the best tv streaming app in India with 300+ channels. i think this cooperation is peer-to-peer.

clarlion

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017

Monster chasing phenomenon Pokémon GO is finally coming to India, it was announced today (via Mashable). 4G LTE carrier Reliance Jio has partnered with Niantic, publisher and developer of Pokémon GO, to bring the hit game to the country on Wednesday.

The partnership will see thousands of Reliance Digital Stores and other affiliated premises become PokéStops and gyms, where players are most likely to discover the game's iconic characters.

pokemongobattle-800x671.jpg

"It's exciting to see Pokémon fans in India step out and explore their neighbourhoods in search of Pokémon and Jio tv's disruptive high speed 4G LTE Network will be an excellent way to experience the game," said John Hanke, CEO and founder of Niantic in a press statement.

Since its debut on iOS in July, Pokémon GO has been downloaded 500 million times. Despite the game not being available in India during that time, many fans in the country force-installed the game to join in the global phenomenon.

Niantic updated the game yesterday with new characters, introducing Togepi, Pichu, and other select Pokémon that were originally found in Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver.

Article Link: Pokémon GO Officially Launches in India Tomorrow
I don't know the reason why Pokemon Go officially launched so late in India. this country counts for 1/7 of the world population. Not many people in India care about this game now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.