Pokemon Go on Apple Watch series 2 only?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by maxsquared, Sep 14, 2016.

1. maxsquared macrumors regular

Just wondering that if Pokemon Go's egg hatching mechanism is based on GPS movement, then it would be a mess implementation if it's available on series 1, could this be series 2 only?

2. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I'd imagine one would just need to have the iPhone (has GPS) along, and it would be fine.

3. maxsquared thread starter macrumors regular

Mmm, if that's the case, then the Apple Watch will have to constantly connect to the iPhone, because it does need to detect people who's travelling too fast? Plus, such implementation would totally defeat the purpose of having Pokemon go on the Apple Watch, as I would imagine it will use a lot of battery on both iPhone and the Apple Watch

4. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

The purpose of Pokemon Go on the watch isn't to save iPhone battery; it's so you don't have to stare at a screen the whole time. The idea is that you're looking around at your environment and only occasionally at a screen.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

I have a feeling that the Series 0 Watch either wont get Pokemon Go or it will run very poorly.

Anyway, I'm dying to know the way PGo for Apple Watch will handle egg hatching. Is it going to solve the many many issues of a phone running in your pocket measuring actual distance by using step/distance data from the iPhone itself? Or is it going to be a 2nd power hungry device running Pokemon Go... but now its on your wrist.

6. Playgear macrumors regular

It was demoed in the presentation before the Series 2 was announced, so my guess is that it will probably run on the first-generation Apple Watch.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Pokémon go plus band is already going to require the phone. I can't imagine niantic being shy about requiring the phone with the Apple Watch too. They're going to want this as accessible as possible. Limiting the hardware to only series two would surprise me greatly.

8. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

No. You're overthinking this. They said you can't catch Pokemon with the watch app so you need a phone.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016 ---
    You don't seem to understand how any of this works.

9. maxsquared thread starter macrumors regular

Do explain!

10. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Yes, they announced Pokemon Go before the new HW, expect it to run even on series 0. 100% chance.

A better question is whether anyone will still be playing Pokemon Go by the time the app launches? People seem to be losing interest by the day.

11. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Very true. Once you get to level 20 and dominate a few gyms, replayability drops significantly. They didn't do a great job with a true roadmap for sustained interest. Buddy pokemon to find candy? It's a one week gimmick.