Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I'm sure the recent spike in house break-ins are just kids looking for Pokemon (or so they keep telling the judge).... :rolleyes:

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I have to say I've been having a ton of fun with this game. I don't get to play much during the week but on the weekends I've been going into downtown Austin to the various parks/ walking paths to play.

I cannot believe how many people are out and about playing. Granted this is Austin and most of us already enjoyed time doing outdoors things without Pokemon Go, this just added one more thing to do.

Reactions: friedmud

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Well here's the interesting bit about that:
  • Niantic Labs wrote Pokémon Go (aside from the through-the-camera Pokémon capturing and the actual Pokémon IP - names and artwork - the game is a pretty clear follow-on to Niantic's previous game, Ingress).
  • Niantic Labs was spun off from Google a while back, where they'd developed Ingress.
  • The people who became Niantic, inside of Google, came from Google's acquisition of Keyhole Inc. (per Wikipedia, "Keyhole's marquee application suite, Earth Viewer, emerged as the highly successful Google Earth application in 2005").
  • Keyhole Inc. was, per Wikipedia, "a pioneering software development company specializing in geospatial data visualization applications", who got "additional capital ... from [various sources including] the CIA's venture capital arm In-Q-Tel, with the majority of In-Q-Tel' funds coming from the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, ..."
. . . . .. ..

Now, for your local park, this is interesting, but not a big deal. No military agency is likely to invade your park any time soon. But, again, they could be effectively collecting this data worldwide, for every square inch of ground. Map data (remember, their roots are in collecting and visualizing map data) that has been enhanced with detailed data about the crossability of each small bit of terrain, complete with most common paths taken, could be quite valuable. Imagine a decade from now, a squad of troops (or SWAT officers, etc) making their way through a newly-war-torn (or terrorism-torn) urban area, and the squad leader having their heads-up-display (or more low-tech, a commanding officer half a kilometer back with a laptop and a radio) suddenly tell them, "now 100 meters ahead, you need to detour 50 meters to the right - there's a tall fence you can't see from here that would slow you down and leave you exposed." That, could be very useful, and thus very valuable, data. And an original bit of funding did come from the "National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency". Sound like a good fit?

Like I said, tinfoil hat territory, but interesting.

That would be an incredibly long-term plan. And it requires the Guvmn't correctly anticipating a viral gaming sensation.
As you say, tinfoil hat territory. I suspect more likely the plan is much closer to Candy Crush Saga: a small percentage of players get very into the game and they buy in the in-app purchases, then . . . profit! The mapping is some nice data, but Google Maps has most of it already, our phones already track where they are and report back their location to Google and/or Apple. We don't need a specific App up and running for that to be going on in the background. The Ingress pictures provide pictures of places that can't be reached or seen from the street. But besides that I'm not sure what else it added.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I think, as long as the game follows the current cross-generations' rules that everyone always wins all the time, everything should be fine.

I don't think I can just lump myself in with "GenX" - because the Boomers pronounced our generation dead when Cobain blew his brains out - it gets confusing...

I feel privileged that I grew up without anti-social media and dumbphones. And I still can't bring myself to give Facebook my real name or my real photo or any of my personal information. And if I'd been selfish enough to have children in this seriously f'd up world, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't wish to have them playing a game designed by a corporation to track and - from what little I understand of it - "lure" them to McDonald's or whoever will shell out the most money to help make them more fiscally fit, healthy "active" consumers at our corporate gyms. (Given I'm not a parent, I'm guessing I'd be even lazier than the ones who do choose to be these days.)

But, until the first group runs across a rare Pokérab (?) screaming "Yalalalala!" with a suicide vest - I hope all of the lemmings can be proud of their new "active" method of gluing their face to a screen for the monetization of their favoritest benevolent corporations: Gotta catch 'em all - I'm lovin' it!

Which reminds me - I have to download this game and set up lures at every strip club, headshop, and adult "novelty" store I can find before they take all the fun out of it. How much would that IAP cost me?

As for my laptop warrior hypocrisy - "Sundays always come too late but Friday, never hesitate..." - Justin Bieber

Boomers and Millennials really have all the fun... And bonus - they're BFF's! I wish Kurt hadn't done that to all of us - paint me jelly. I remember when Tabitha Soren, the voice of our generation, told me that my generation had died on the MTV that I wanted. Very sad day.

And, just so people know I'm being absolutely serious - given the two known sociopaths we currently have to choose between, hopefully the phenomenon will last long enough to give us Pikachu for POTUS. Please? Otherwise, we might end up with who the Boomers chose to give their BFF Millennials to vote for again - which actually does scare the **** out of me this time around.

Sunday funday.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I really don't get the extreme prejudice for this app some of you folks are showcasing. All the while you're saying this on a site that goes mad when a new product comes out and people sleep on the street overnight in order to get these things on launch day.

Some folks need to take a step back and look in the mirror. The fact you think something someone else enjoys is ridiculous simply means you personally don't care. That's fine. Belittling others is not...

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I don't usually play games on the phone but I like playing this with my kids.

I find it particularly interesting that when you travel to different states you see different Pokemon.

My kids liking it is the biggest factor but I find it fun as well

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
My friends play it and they keep having to restart it all the time on the 6S's, I laugh at them but it makes them sad. Hopefully with all that money coming in they can fix it up a bit.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It's kind of a fun game for someone way too close to 40 (MAKE IT STOP) and who also didn't have an interest in Pokemon before. Hey, it gives you an objective that requires moving around and walking. It's basically a smartphone adaptation of what Xbox did with Kinect.

It's very much a 1.0 product with the obvious glitches. But it also has a limited fun value right now because WHAT DID THESE PEOPLE DO TO GET CHARACTERS SO MUCH HIGHER THAN I HAVE IN EVERY DAMN GYM? I downloaded the game about four days after it came out. I've played it some, reaching level 12. Even found a Pikachu on Sunday. But almost every gym I find has a character with about 800 or above in the lowest spot, meaning I don't need to even bother with mine that top out at 500.

So the developers need to figure out some enhancements to keep it from slipping into oblivion like FarmVille, which a few years ago was all the rage until it got boring AF even for a casual game.

Reactions: ErikGrim

ballsop

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
My mother died earlier this month and Pokémon Go has been an amazing distraction for me and a way to get myself out of the house in the evenings. Staying busy and distracted is the only thing that keeps me from collapsing, so I am thankful that it came out when it did.

I'm so sorry to hear that but i share your sentiment. My girlfriend broke up with me a day before the game came out. It's been an invaluable distraction for me.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
"Oh good, I was wondering why there weren't any Pokemon articles today."

"I guess we're on... POKErumors!!11!"

"Something something watch bands"

Anyways I'll be surprised if Apple doesn't make some sort of nod to the game at their next keynote.

I'm sure they will. It's an app that has broken records and will likely be in history books as a noteworthy moment in computer/technology history.
[doublepost=1469469084][/doublepost]
Crashing into cars, getting robbed by someone, probably raped too.

P.s. so before this game there was no reason to go outside? ways people rationalize amaze me.

We don't know what the net results are. Maybe people are getting raped less because there are more Pokemon go players out on the streets at night. Maybe car accidents are less because more people are going for walks. Maybe robberies are down since people are less alone now while out on trails, bike paths or around their neighborhood.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I really don't get the extreme prejudice for this app some of you folks are showcasing. All the while you're saying this on a site that goes mad when a new product comes out and people sleep on the street overnight in order to get these things on launch day.

Some folks need to take a step back and look in the mirror. The fact you think something someone else enjoys is ridiculous simply means you personally don't care. That's fine. Belittling others is not...

Agreed! The same hypocrites criticizing this game's popularity are the probably the same "Macbook Pro" fanatics that keep checking MR five times a day to see if Apple will release one of their perfectly-dreamed-of MBP. And when there isn't a good MBP release on the horizon, they have tantrums like spoiled 6-year olds. Talk about fanaticism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.