Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I myself don’t support Pokemon Go so there is no question of them supporting my device.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Most? I wouldn’t go that far. A good number of people, yes. But most is definitely not true. In my area we have about 1000 legit players and a handful of spoofers.

Though that may be anecdotal of my area, I’m in contact with people around the country, and spoofing usually isn’t a big problem. Just a nuisance.
My experience matches yours. Our local Discord server has several thousand members, and I usually don't have a problem finding a raid or two in the evenings - was at a Groudon raid tonight with 15+ real live actual people. I've seen spoofers in raids a literal handful of times, and it's annoying, but it's way down in the noise (I've also had times where folks believed that someone in the lobby must be a spoofer, and then the real actual person walks up afterwards, and they were in their car, or across the street, or some such).
[doublepost=1515652778][/doublepost]
People still play Pokémon Go? I thought it died in late 2016 'cos I never see anyone play it anymore.
For a few months at the start, everyone and their dog was playing because it was a fad, and you could quite literally see flocks of players everywhere you looked. Now they're down to "merely" millions of players (a player base many other games would give their right arm for), and it's harder to notice them in public if you don't know what to look for. There's a substantial base of dedicated players that are quite active.

This reminds me of a guy who walked up to me in a park, perhaps a year ago, and said, "Pokemon Go?!? Nobody plays that any more." My reaction was along the lines of, "Uh, yeah, that statement is demonstrably false, since you're watching me playing it right now - logic isn't your strong suit, is it?" I think he meant that nobody should play it, since it was no longer cool (as in "didn't you get the memo?"). But I've never been much of one for following the latest fad things to look cool.

FWIW, there's a thriving online community on Reddit at /r/TheSilphRoad that's largely dedicated to figuring out precisely how all the mechanics of Pokemon Go work. Interesting stuff, if you're of the right mind for it.

Last edited:

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
This will affect kids the most. They are the ones who have hand-me-down devices that are likely to be affected by this change.

It won't affect me because I stopped playing when they started pushing advertisements for Sprint in the game notifications.

MvdM

Suspended
Apr 27, 2005
I don't have this app but I hate when companies do this in general.

They should simply push out new app features to those who want to update and leave those who like the old version which worked just fine alone.
Some companies call this kind of limitations features.

expiredyogurt

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
not america
coding in 32bit from the beginning spells the failure of any ios dev. you must be so incompetent to only be able to code in 32 bit and not 64 bit.

90% of the stuff in the app store are duplicates and reskin of popular games anyway and its designed to trick unsuspecting people to download it.

Pink_Kitty_333

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2018
I wish I could still play the game :'(
I've only played for about 2 weeks, but I've gotten so addicted. I've never had a 'good' phone until recently. And now that one of my favorite games is no longer available for the IPhone 5s that I have, it just sucks. I have no way to upgrade my phone right now either.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
I wish I could still play the game :'(
I've only played for about 2 weeks, but I've gotten so addicted. I've never had a 'good' phone until recently. And now that one of my favorite games is no longer available for the IPhone 5s that I have, it just sucks. I have no way to upgrade my phone right now either.

Did you read the article? The 5S isn’t affected.

Reactions: CarlJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.