Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Good news for pokemon fans out there!

http://kotaku.com/5245005/pokemon-gold-and-silver-getting-ds-remakes

's official. Pokémon Gold and Silver will be remade — something that was hinted at last weekend on Japan's Pokémon Sunday TV program.

The tenth anniversary remakes will be called Pokémon Heart Gold and Poké Soul Silver — much akin to the Fire Red and Leaf Green Gameboy Advance remakes of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green.

The original Gold and Silver sold 23 million copies worldwide. Expect the DS remakes this autumn in Japan with newly added elements.

Needless to say, I'll be picking it up! For me these games had a lot of time to play, since Red had strong level 70+ at the end. Not to mention 16 badges. Also my first Pokemon game(I later got Blue, but I owned Silver first)

So who plans to pick them up?

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Only Nintendo... actually no... Squeenix too.

And Capcom.

I might get a copy of this. I had Pokemon Blue (I think) on my original Gameboy as a student, and if I remember rightly I quite enjoyed it, but I lost it when my house got robbed and I never picked it up again (they also stole my playstation, marvel vs capcom and 70hrs plus final fantasy VIII. Still hurts.)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
OHHHH yes! Definitely day -100 buy for me (import :) since it will take years to hit Europe).
Always wanted to play through Gold/Silver/Crystal but only if the rewards from that could be transferred to my Pearl save.

jmann

macrumors 604
Now all they need is to make a remake of Yellow version and call it "Sun Yellow" that would be awesome. All of those games bring back so many memories. Any one caught any shiny pokémon in any of their games so far? I was lucky and I caught a shiny feebas. :) Here's a pic of when it evolved.

dpffsb350.png

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You got a shiny Milotic?! You sod that's one of my fave :D. I have a shiny Exploud but it's not a great fighter... or great anything come to think of it.

jmann

macrumors 604
You got a shiny Milotic?! You sod that's one of my fave :D. I have a shiny Exploud but it's not a great fighter... or great anything come to think of it.

Yeah it is my only shiny. I was fishing for a feebas, and caught it, and I didn't even realize it was shiny 'til later. Some of my friends soft reset their game like 3,000 times to get a shiny legendary :rolleyes:, but I'm not that much of a nerd with that much time. haha.

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
I've never played any of the gameboy pokemon games to this looks pretty sweet

btw I'm pretty sure Nintendo/Pokemon is giving away shiny milotics at the video game qualifiers this summer

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I played and loved Gold. The best thing about this generation of Pokemon games was that they used real time -- e.g. it was Tuesday on Tuesdays in the game, and it was night at night and daytime during the day, and this was all relevant to who and what one would find roaming about or happening. Hopefully the remakes keep that feature and perhaps even enhance it (with wifi, for instance, it would be really amusing if it did things like adjust the weather in the game to match the weather in the player's locale! Although, it might not work so well if one lived in some place with unchanging weather....).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I played and loved Gold. The best thing about this generation of Pokemon games was that they used real time -- e.g. it was Tuesday on Tuesdays in the game, and it was night at night and daytime during the day, and this was all relevant to who and what one would find roaming about or happening. Hopefully the remakes keep that feature and perhaps even enhance it (with wifi, for instance, it would be really amusing if it did things like adjust the weather in the game to match the weather in the player's locale! Although, it might not work so well if one lived in some place with unchanging weather....).

I'd imagine we'd get all the online advances made in Platinum in these new games :). Or I hope we get them at least!
I just really hope they speed this one up though. Pearl was a lot slower to get in and out battles, to watch Pokemon level up and evolve, even the running speed was a lot slower.

Also wondering if they'll bother adding Kanto in. It's not needed but (apparently) it was a big part of the game once you beat the elite 4.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So its out in Japan now and well, it's Japan+Pokemon what do you expect? :D

Kanto is in. Much more detailed than the previous games (apparently). Access to Kanto legendaries too.
Pokewalker. A pedometre that you load up with 1-3 Pokemon, each step adds 1 exp point and they gain happiness too. Can still battle+find items on it.
All the savvy Wifi and Battle area things from Platinum have been copied and pasted over. Lazy, but very good to hear they're not taking them out.

Downloaded the recorded OST too and it all sounds spiffing. Can't wait for this one.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Gold was my very first pokemon game! I'm really looking forward to this!! I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my nintendo DS, this seems like the one!

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Red was my first, and I totally enjoyed the FireRed remake as well. So I'll definitely be picking up one of these two on day one. Since I originally had Silver, I'll probably grab SoulSilver.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well it should be out today in America. *shakes fist and such!*

It's out here on the 26th. Already got my Pikachu-coloured Pichu and event Arceus to unlock the extra sidequests. Gonna be good :D.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'm pretty excited to go and pick Soul Silver up. I was planning on getting it at a 24 hour walmart, but it was pretty stormy, with flood warning and what not, so I'm just going to pick it up sometimes today.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Ya, I'll admit. I ordered Soul Silver. The Pokemon addiction is something that never goes away!

God of War 3 and Soul Silver come in the mail on Tuesday!

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I picked up my copy of SoulSilver yesterday at GameStop. I've had it preordered since Christmas, so I dragged my girlfriend with me. I'm pretty sure she rolled her eyes the entire time. Girls just dont get it. :p

Anyway I got Final Fantasy XIII and Pokémon Soul Silver, I am officially happy. :p

dreary

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
i purchased soul silver today, and got a figurine along with it. apparently, they're not too many Pokemon fanatics near me because there were a ton left.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mine and the girlfriends Heart Gold and Soul Silver turned up today. So far, amazing. Don't think I'll be playing much else for a very long time. The music and art are beautiful... footstep sounds and water fading it as you approach it are great little touches.
The pokewalker seems to work great too. Just been out for a short walk and gathered 6500 steps.

I like this. Very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.