Pokey-slow iMovie '08?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jvencius, Sep 14, 2007.

1. jvencius macrumors regular

Is iMovie '08 normally pokey-slow when generating thumbnails? I have a ~1/2 hour movie I'm importing and it is projecting 240+ minutes to generate thumbnails. That seems rather odd but since I have zero experience with digital video I dont' know what to expect. Is there any way I can speed things up? It's not a very high-quality video so it's not as if I'm trying to win an Oscar with it but I would like to be able to cut out a lot of the junk footage the guy running the camera took. I'd be content to have thumbnails at ~1 minute intervals and I don't know how to set it up that way (FWIW, the "Getting Started with iMovie '08 .pdf wasn't much help).

BTW: I'm on a 2.2 MBP with 2GB RAM.

2. jvencius thread starter macrumors regular

Now iMovie is saying that it will take 31 minutes to Process New Event and Create Thumbnails for a 5:40 clip. Is this reasonable? If so, why is it taking so long and is there anything I can do to speed things up?

3. jvencius thread starter macrumors regular

Now it's up to 38 minutes processing time for the same <6 minute clipe.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. jvencius thread starter macrumors regular

The processing time is up to 53 minutes now! I have a Safari window with one tab open and iTunes playing in the background, but nearly an hour's processing time for such a short clip seems rather unreasonable to me. If iMovie '08 is indeed this clunky, maybe I'll have to look at Final Cut Express...

5. jvencius thread starter macrumors regular

WTF?!?!?! It's now saying over an hour's processing time! Something is not right...:mad::confused:

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Look at Activity Monitor and see what other processes you have running.

Also, what format are you using for video? If you're converting AVI you're in for a long night.

Bob

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

8. jvencius thread starter macrumors regular

mpeg-4

9. jvencius thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing showed up with more than 3.5% of CPU usage. iMovie was the most procesor-intensive by far. :confused:

10. jvencius thread starter macrumors regular

Since the clips from my bud's DVD are all ripped into mpeg-4 format, is there a format I should convert them to (or re-rip them to a different format)? I don't particularly care about lossy-ness since the vids aren't all that great of a quality but having iMovie project >1 hour to process/add thumbnails for a 5 minute clip is unacceptable.

11. Florida Gator macrumors regular

I'm also having this problem on my 2ghz Macbook with 2gb of ram.

It takes forever to generate thumbnails for most videos. If its a 1 minute clip, it takes 4 minutes of "generating thumbnails." If its a 60 minute clip, it tells me its going to take 300 minute to generate the thumbnails. Is anybody else having this issue?

12. tenjin macrumors newbie

Hi,

Same here.

MBP 2.6 with the fast drive and 4Gb RAM.

I have a DVD of a TV show (2 hours) I recorded on my consumer DVD recorder. I created an mp4 file using Handbrake, then imported it into iMovie. The import took about 30 seconds, but the "generating thumbnails" estimated 9 hours!!

It essentially maxed out the processor, and I was forced to "force quit" it.

Any ideas?

D.

13. ccartiermac macrumors newbie

iMovie Generating Thumbnails Takes Too Long

I imported short video clips from a Sony DV that were several minutes long. The thumbnail generation didn't take too long. Sorry I didn't time it.

However, I encountered an issue when I imported a 10 minute segment and instructed iMovie to add it to an existing event instead of creating a new event. The thumbnail generation dialog has now been running for 6 hours on a iMac 4.1 1.83 ghz Intel Core Duo with1.5Gb of memory. CPU utliization is low. iLife is using less than 4% CPU. Disk activity is low - max disk i/o is 40 kB / sec.

There appears to be some bottleneck in the s/w design from what I can see.

Has anyone received an explanation yet from Apple how to fix this issue?

Yes, i am running the latest update.

14. ccartiermac macrumors newbie

iMovie Generating Thumbnails Takes too Long

Here is a post I put on the Apple support site after a call with support

reviewed this problem with Apple support. after reviewing machine and s/w configs they asked me for the model of my DVR whic is a Sony DCR-TRV30. iMovie recognizes the model but apparently its not on the supported camera list.

Regardless after some coaching from the Apple rep - I tried to forced quit the application but had to power-off the machine since since iMovie would not force quit and I could not get the O/S to shutdown. I re-imported the video affer reboot The generating thumbnails was finsihed in less time than the 7 minute segment I imported.

There seems to be some bug which caused the application hang in a loop which only consumed 3.5% cpu utilization and 22 threads. Virtual memory was about 1GB

iMac 4.1 Core Duo Mac OS X (10.5.2)