Poland, Austria and/or Hungary Microsim Question.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by poloponies, Jul 7, 2010.

1. poloponies Suspended

Will be traveling in that area shortly and while I know that Orange has microsims available, I don't know if they're available for travelers as prepaid items. I've bought sims elsewhere in Europe in the past but haven't been to these countries yet. Anyone know?

2. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

I am from Hungary and you can buy prepaid data card here but it will be regular sim. You just need a sharp knife and cut it to micro size in a few minutes. That's what I did and it works perfectly...

3. poloponies thread starter Suspended

Are the SIMs widely available? Phone stores? Post office?

4. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

Yes they are. There are three operators and you can find their branches in almost any shopping mall. I would recommend T-Mobile their coverage/speed/price is the best in my opinion. I've been using their service for years and I am quiet happy with them.

T-Mobile

Vodafone

Telenor

5. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

T-Mobile "Domino Net M" 3GB prepaid package is 3990HUF which is ~$18.

6. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

In Poland, MicroSIMs are available from Orange and Plus, but not as pre-paid. So you would have to cut the regular SIM card.

7. poloponies thread starter Suspended

8. mst0192 macrumors member

9. poloponies thread starter Suspended

Sweet!

10. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

I don't know if you know Polish or not, but in case you didn't, here's a list of pre-paid Internet starters available in Poland, taken from the carriers' websites, with prices in Polish currency and APN/Username/Password settings you will have to enter in your iPad settings:

Orange:
    Orange Free: 20 zł
    1 gr / 100 KB
    APN: internet
    Username: internet
    Password: internet

Era:
    Blueconnect starter: 25 zł
    3 gr / 100 KB
    APN: erainternet
    Username: erainternet
    Password: erainternet

Plus:
    iPlus SIMData: 20 zł
    3 gr / 100 KB

Heyah:
    Starter Heyah Internet: 20 zł
    2 gr / 100 KB
    APN: heyah.pl
    Username: heyah
    Password: heyah

Play:
    Starter: 19 zł
    1 GB to use. You may then purchase additional 2 GB for 30 zł or 4 GB for 50 zł.
    Note that they have a really poor coverage, check http://internet.playmobile.pl/maps/ (click Play Online on the map).

Unfortunately, in all cases you get a standard SIM card and you have to cut it, so that it fits into your iPad. Cutting the SIM card is quite easy. That's what I did, and it works. Here's a tutorial: http://www.johnbenson.net/How_to_Co..._a_SIM_to_a_MicroSIM_with_a_Meat_Cleaver.html

11. poloponies thread starter Suspended

12. VVitalievich, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

VVitalievich macrumors newbie

Hi,

Did the situation with microSIMs available for prepaid contract change since last post?

Going for eurotrip early Jan2011 by car, passing by Poland, Hungary, Austria.
    Last year I remember it was very easy to buy prepaid at every gas station, but that was for phone, now for iPad.

Should I bring a knife and scissors? ))

13. swi7zer macrumors newbie

MicroSIM

Hi tamasvarga67,

I just found a page at vodafone (http://www.vodafone.hu/lakossagi/internet/szamitogepen/internet-az-ipadhez) stating that MicroSIM should be available. Also I found a press release on one of the main telekom provider in hungary, stating that since roughly June/July MicroSIMs should be available.
    However, I could not found any reference whether prepaid microSIM cards are available and what the cost are. I will be in Budapest for only 4 nights over new year and would like to use my iPad without the expensive roaming.

Any suggestion ? Or is John Benson guide "How To Convert a SIM to a MicroSIM with a Meat Cleaver" still the best option ?

Any feedback is welcome, kind regards and happy new year
    Laszlo

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

15. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean