Polarising (I assume) 3D glasses.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adagio, Oct 26, 2009.

1. adagio macrumors member

My auntie just gave me a pair of 3D glasses she received when watching UP, the new Disney movie (and was probably supposed to return).

Am I correct in thinking I can make no use of these with my new Macbook Pro?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Correct. You need a special kind of viewing surface like the special screens they have at the theaters for 3D movies.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

You can try it. The left and right lenses will have a slight yellow/blue color shift, and if you turn your head 45 degrees, the screen will appear to go completely black in one or both lenses. There is no way to see anything in 3D.

4. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

The screen is a normal movie screen, there is no special screen needed to view the 3D movies.

The different color 3D glasses are a thing of the past. Now the glasses are just two pieces of polarized film. Polarized film has an axis to it, so as you rotate it, it changes. For use on a 3D movie they simply rotate each lens away from each other.

An no the glasses will do nothing for you on your MBP. But if you cover one eye, and then start to rotate your head, you will more than likely see the screen on the MBP go dark. What your seeing is the anti alignment of the glass on your MBP, and the polarized lens.

This is real noticeable on the iPhone. In fact some of the first generation iPhones contained glass screen that were not aligned when they were cut out of the sheets of glass, so when you turned the phone to landscape mode and were wearing polarized sunglasses, the screen would appear dark and you had to remove your glasses to see the screen.

5. adagio thread starter macrumors member

You're sort of right. 45 degrees left both eyes go blue, 45 right both go yellow but I have to take them off and look through them the wrong way to make them go black.

So, as I assumed. Not much use.

Thanks.

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The polarization somehow adds a blue or yellow tint with these glasses looking at LCD panels. They are not colored otherwise.