Polarized sunglasses and iPad in portrait mode

Discussion in 'iPad' started by backbraker25, May 17, 2010.

1. backbraker25 macrumors member

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this but it virtually impossible to see the iPad screen in portrait mode with polarized sunglasses on. However it works on landscape.

2. bocomo macrumors 6502

3. masa. macrumors member

A LCD panel typically has a vertical polarizer film at the front of the screen. That's why when you have sunglasses, which have orthogonal polarization strips (say holizontal), you do not see anything. If you get sunglasses with circular polarization, you probably able to see the LCD screen.

4. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Yup, my Maui Jim's render the screen invisible in portrait mode. ;)

Easy enough to work-around, though. Either switch to landscape, or remove the sunglasses.

5. jtara macrumors 65816

Actually, I recall that I had the opposite problem - could only see my iPad in portrait mode. That makes more sense, because portrait mode seems to be Apple's "favored" orientation.

The astute reader will not my use of the words "recall", and "had"...

Surprisingly, the Power Control anti-glare film seems to have solved the problem!

I just tested with a pair of polarized Carrreras as well as a pair of Drivewear lenses. Same result - I can see the screen in both portrait and landscape mode, with some fringing, but not very objectionable.

6. backbraker25 thread starter macrumors member

I just realized that I can't see my iMac screen either. You guys are right.

7. jtara macrumors 65816

Samsung SyncMaster 213T (old 2000-era 22" IPS), no screen protector - landscape OK, portrait 100% cutout.

13" Aluminum Macbook late 2008, no screen protector - landscape OK, portrait OK

iPhone 3G, Zagg - landscape OK, portrait OK (pretty sure this is OK without the Zagg as well)

I think the problem is primarily with IPS-technology displays (such as my Syncmasters and iPad).

8. masa. macrumors member

Those films often do not preserve the polarization.

9. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Maui Jim's rock! I have the sport carbonite ones! I noticed this too and honestly thought it might have been my Zagg invisible sholield causing the problem. Good to know I'm not crazy!

10. smilechild macrumors newbie

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (OS4.0b3): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/8A260b Safari/531.21.10)

Yup. I can't see my iMac screen when I have my sunnies on - and all of my shades are polarized, so it kind of sucks. Not that I often wear my sunglasses indoors, but when you throw then on and check something on the computer on your way out the door, it's kinda lame. The best ones for viewing the iMac are my Ray Ban Aviators - it's hard to explain, but the polarization angle of the two lenses is very slightly different, so a slight head tilt does the trick. Both of Oakleys, OTOH, are perfectly aligned, making the polarization blackout 100% ... Oh well. At least they look good. :)

12. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

13. Mike Oxsaw macrumors newbie

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Interesting science...

Maybe it's your eyes! Better get it checked out!

=p

15. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

16. MobiusStrip macrumors regular

Tell that to pilots, whose kneeboards hold the iPad on their thigh in portrait orientation. I would never fly in the daytime without good sunglasses. Or tell others in mobile applications where the mounting system holds the iPad in portrait orientation (which is more likely to be the ideal orientation in a vehicle and for mobile apps).

The current polarization is backward. The screen should be visible in portrait orientation but not landscape. People sitting watching a movie are the least likely to be wearing sunglasses.

[​IMG]

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It happens with my iPad, but not my Droid x.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have polarized sunglasses, and one of the displays in my car disappears when using them.