Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narn

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
I'm a novice, but I tried to recreate the BASIC code in from the first picture in Bash and I can't get it to behave correctly. Any ideas?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for ((i=1; i<=20; i++))
  do
   for ((j=1; j<=$i; j++))
     do
      echo $j$i
     done
  done

The variable i should not be printed to the screen. And you must prevent the inner loop from writing a newline character.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for ((i=1; i<=20; i++)); do
  for ((j=1; j<=$i; j++)); do
    echo -n $j
  done
  echo
done

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This is the kind of thing that doesn't exist any more in today's world.

These days, you'd have all sorts of regulatory and legal hurdles: you'd need certification for wireless parts, you'd need to invest a significant amount of time in protecting your IP (trademarks), and you'd probably get a fair number of aggressive patent challenges.

You can't just make something and take it to a shop and get it sold to people any more.

First of all, this "unregulated nirvana" you speak of has not existed for over 100 years. There are lots of garage start-ups to this day that have turned out a few millionaires. This I know first hand.

When you become successful, the bullies that run the playground show up to see if you can fight back and be part of the club. This is just another part of business and why tech wusses grow old in coffee shops saying they were cheated while they never had the fight to keep their ground. This is good old survival of the fittest and not smartest.

There were plenty of regulations and legal issues back in the 1976-era electronics industry. It took a decade or so for the rest of the world to catch up with boy wonders turned millionaires making personal computers. One reason why Steve and Steve originally sold the Apple I as a kit was to bypass existing regulations and the cost of test and certification.

While everyone celebrates Steve and Steve, Mike Markkula (an established millionaire) really put fuel into the Apple machine taking care of overhead such as regulatory compliance, accounting, taxes and other legal rudiments. 'Til Mike showed, up Steve and Steve were just another pair of techie hippies that had a good idea for a personal computer along with hundreds of other similar ventures all over the country. Steve and Steve had the classic right place, right time where everyone else was underfunded and forgotten about in the pages of history.

In 1976, Underwriters Laboratory had carte blanche as the de facto consumer electronics safety certification recognized by the Fed and other government bodies. Issue was that in 1976, UL did not have a classification for personal computers. One reason why monitors and the CPU with keyboard were sold separately in the Apple ][ was one passed UL test as a "television" and the other as a "electric typewriter".

Then the money came in. Steve Jobs investors got him on the cover it Time and the rest is history.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Neat..

Looks like one of those TSR-80 displays. (minus the surrounding)..

I jumped at the idea of it looking like those mainframe "green text" displays, but quickly dismissed it.

I'm a novice, but I tried to recreate the BASIC code in from the first picture in Bash and I can't get it to behave correctly. Any ideas?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for ((i=1; i<=20; i++))
  do
   for ((j=1; j<=$i; j++))
     do
      echo $j$i
     done
  done

Someone has a hobby. :)

Last edited:

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I learned Fortran, Watfiv (a type of Fortran), Assembly, and three variants of Pascal (Stony Brook, Australian Atomic Energy Commission and later, Turbo). Started out on an IBM 360/65 mainframe. Punch cards were a dime a deck. Unix commands on Lear Siegler "glass tty's". Impact printers churning out pounds of printouts. Tektronix vector monitors for CAD.

In my sophomore year my advisor showed me the new Apple 2e. It was a revelation.

And the world changed.

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
The variable i should not be printed to the screen. And you must prevent the inner loop from writing a newline character.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for ((i=1; i<=20; i++)); do
  for ((j=1; j<=$i; j++)); do
    echo -n $j
  done
  echo
done

Thanks!

----------

Neat..

Looks like one of those TSR-80 displays. (minus the surrounding)..

I jumped at the idea of it looking like those mainframe "green text" displays, but quickly dismissed it.

Someone has a hobby. :)

It's fun.

HAMEYO

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
I find it sad that people find this kind of news boring. It's the beginning, the roots of Apple. Without that beginning, there probably would not be Macs, iPhones or iPads today. Then again, without Apple, perhaps Commodore would not have stood on their ass and we'd all be using Amiga computers today.

People today only want a new iPhone with a new shape or a bigger screen and they don't even seem to care when it looks exactly the same but everything inside has been upgraded.

But to us nerds, which is the kind of people it takes to build such devices by the way, this kind of news is 1000 times more interesting than hearing about lawsuits or contract deals with heartless media mega-corporations.

If you don't like a story, just don't comment on it or start your own website where you can approve the stories yourself. Anything else is just noise that doesn't add anything to the discussion of the topic.

TRUE, True!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First Commentator Itsele is Really " BORING Creature "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Meanwhile in 2012...... We can't buy an Mac desktop from Apple as they are not yet available to order !

sure they are. you just want one of the brand new models recently announced.

i bought the existing 27" 3.4ghz model a few months ago, loaded it w/ 256gb SSD, 16GB RAM, 2GB VRAM, and never looked back. it rocks.

Builddesign

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Love the historical roots. Impact printers and all.

All my hope is with Ive.

Apple has mastered supply chain and distribution to an extent.

I wouldn't blame the sock head hipsters , I'd blame the average consumer who cant pull away from Facebook.

super michael

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
I find it sad that people find this kind of news boring. It's the beginning, the roots of Apple. Without that beginning, there probably would not be Macs, iPhones or iPads today. Then again, without Apple, perhaps Commodore would not have stood on their ass and we'd all be using Amiga computers today.

People today only want a new iPhone with a new shape or a bigger screen and they don't even seem to care when it looks exactly the same but everything inside has been upgraded.

But to us nerds, which is the kind of people it takes to build such devices by the way, this kind of news is 1000 times more interesting than hearing about lawsuits or contract deals with heartless media mega-corporations.

If you don't like a story, just don't comment on it or start your own website where you can approve the stories yourself. Anything else is just noise that doesn't add anything to the discussion of the topic.

Do you mean that Commodore and apple competed against each other? I don't know anything about that generation since I started playing games around Sega genesis and SNES that is as far back I remember, my sister said we used to have a commodore, but I don't remember anything about it must have been very small if I can't remember.

Who made the commodore?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Do you mean that Commodore and apple competed against each other? I don't know anything about that generation since I started playing games around Sega genesis and SNES that is as far back I remember, my sister said we used to have a commodore, but I don't remember anything about it must have been very small if I can't remember.

Who made the commodore?

Commodore was the name of the company. The Commodore 64 and the Amiga were computers from that company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.