Police need ipod serial,,can I get from Itunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GoneMad, Jul 10, 2014.

1. GoneMad macrumors newbie

Hi. I was broken into and one of the things stolen was my ipod nano. Just wondering if there is a way to recover the serial number from it via itunes..Can anyone help me if it is stored somewhere on a backup or something? Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... as long as you were doing backups in iTunes. Open iTunes then hit command-comma to bring up preferences. Then go to the Devices tab and mouse hover over the device and you will see the serial number popup.

3. mr99 macrumors 6502a

4. GoneMad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,,all I see there is my ipad and iphone.

5. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

If its registered from your apple account you can go onto their site and "Manage Your Apple ID" it will let you view your registered devices

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You must not have been backing it up manually in iTunes then. Like KeegM480 mentioned, try going to the Apple support page here with your AppleID and see if it is listed.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If you have a Apple store nearby go in and talk to the manager. If you paid with a credit card or had them email the receipt and know the right info they can look up and reprint the receipt.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

idk about iPods but i know iPhones have the serial on the box, so if you still have that check it out.

9. firedept, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have 3 iPad Classics which I do regulars backups to iTunes with and not a one of them shows under Devices. I posted a couple of screenshots below of one of my older ones that is currently plugged in and backed up, but not showing. Just as my other 2 don't show. Only my iPhone shows.

I have always backed up my iPods to iTunes and have never had them show under Devices. So I can understand the OP not finding theirs there.

Attached Files:

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I can't speak to the old iPod, but I have owned every iPad ever made and they have all showed up if you backup in iTunes. You have to click the manual Back Up Now button shown here.

From your screenshot there, it looks like the backup section in iTunes is not even available on that old iPod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Sorry that should have read iPods where I had iPads. My 2 iPads show up on my other iMac just fine, but every iPod in my house does not show. We have 3 iPod classics and 2 iPod Touch. Not that I need to worry though as I keep all the serial numbers on file just in case of a robbery. But was surprised when I read the postings.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... gotcha. :)

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've never been able to backup my iPod classics…

14. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I don't know if you've already found the serial number but if you still have the original box it came in, I believe the SN is on the box.

15. dd1989 macrumors member

Apple Support Profile

https://supportprofile.apple.com/

16. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Good to know. Thanks for the info.