Police Scanner Help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BrettFarve04, Jan 6, 2009.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

My dad bought a sweet police scanner, it's so complicated. I wanna add my local police department into the scanner but it's way over my head. Does anyone have experience in theses?

2. duffer macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure Radio Shack can program them.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Go here:

http://www.radioreference.com

If it's a radio shack scanner, you can download some software that can program the scanner for you from your computer with a programing cable. They have a huge frequency database also. Like you, we had no idea what to even do.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

your local PD could be using radios with a security chip in them. The local PD from my home town did this to not deal with interference. Their radios can only be pick up by another radio with the same security chip.
    If your local PD did that then you can kiss any hope of the scanner working good bye.

5. arcanemirage macrumors newbie

Very Rare...

What your referring to with scrambling is very uncommon. It cost way more money to use that technology than most departments are willing to spend. I too would like to know if there is any program available on the Mac that would let me program my Pro95 scanner. Thanks!:D

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

So it's almost been 6 months since this thread was started and there still is nothing to use to program a scanner on a Mac. They still just suggest using bootcamp and you still need the scanner programming cable from Radio Shack.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Some departments have gone to digital trunk systems. You need a scanner that can receive those signals.

Programing a scanner really isn't that hard. Just find the freqs you want and punch them in.