Policy on starting "Official" threads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Eidorian, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What's the general policy of someone starting an "official" thread to avoid dozens of other threads on the same subject?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The general policy is that we don't like threads titled as "official" unless the mods/admins create the thread or add the designation to an existing thread for some reason. The reason is that having "official" in the title implies that the thread is, you know, official in some way. We'd prefer to reserve that designation for threads that are actually official in some way.

As for avoiding multiple threads on the same topic, that's a losing game no matter how you play it. The best strategy is to point people to the existing thread and report the post so that we can close the repeat threads.

3. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was just curious since there have been several threads on Intel's mobile quad core processors. I was hoping to just try to get an "official" one so that I wouldn't have to run around doing damage control. I've even made the guide that I said I would.

Not to mention I've started a several of the threads on the subject as new information was brought forth.

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Can this be the official thread on the official policy on starting 'Official' threads?

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Is that an OFFICIAL request???

6. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

We need an official to confirm that.

7. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

General rule: it's only really official if it's Official™