Polish Out Scratches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by watercrawl, Jul 16, 2010.

1. watercrawl macrumors newbie

Can one polish out a tiny scratch in the screen of the iphone 4?

BTW, that glass is not scratch proof by any means. I baby my phone and it's got a scratch already. It's getting a screen protector today....hopefully after I can remove the scratch.

2. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

there is a coating on the screen to repel fingerprints. It is likely this is that is scratched and not the glass itself.

Howeever, if you try to buff that out, you will take off the coating and make the screen look awful. There is no way to take the coating off uniformly and others have stated that if you do get the coating off you are left with an awful rainbow effect to the glass.

Leave it alone, get a screen protector, and live with it. Anything you do to make it better will likely make it worse.

3. SmackP macrumors member

Polishing does it's job by putting millions of microscratches.

Sometimes these microscratches can look quite ugly when held up in the light - much worse than the original scratch itself.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the scratches are on the front of the phone, I'd recommend against that as the front has the olephobic coating.

polishing something involves using abrasives, and so you'll scratch off the coating - possibly making matters worse.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Not advisable unless you want to remove the oleophobic coating!