iPhone X Polished my silver / white iPhone X bezel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brettka7, May 27, 2018.

1. Brettka7 macrumors regular

used a 1/4 pea size drop of Autosol and cotton pads after being very unimpressed with microfiber and slightly less unimpressed with automotive foam applicator pads.

Attached Files:

2. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

Good job man! Looks great.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Just as another alternative solution for removing finer scratches, is a Cape Cod Cloth. Excellent product, highly effective in restoration and affordable. Available on Amazon.

4. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried those too, forgot to list that.

The cape cods left more marring behind in my experience. The Autosol and cotton pads aren’t perfect, but I can only find very slight marring if I look for it in the sun.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No marring here on mine with the use of Cape Cod. Also, to help avoid marring, appy lightly and evenly. That’s likely part of your problem is the method of how you were restoring.

6. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

We are gonna agree to disagree on this one, I suppose.

I have more than my fair share of polishing things and shiny silver Apple items are particularly soft. I’m also a bit obsessive about getting it looking really good every once in a while despite it scratching again no matter how you try to take care of it. I tried various polishing “speeds”, tried various pressures, and tried adding padding between my fingers and the cape cod with the concept of a “sanding block” to ensure even pressure while polishing. Cape cod was not impressive in my experience.

7. Relentless Power, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Definitely. Because marring is caused by poor technique, pattern, applying to much pressure, materials used, ect. Even with my stainless Apple Watch, I have *zero* marring with the 316L looking factory new. You would be surprised its _not_ always the Product, its the users method most times. To each their own.

8. TechJunk1e macrumors newbie

TechJunk1e

Got damn the iPhone X is a such a good looking device

9. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Cape Cod Cloth really does a great job

10. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i put cape cod on the kitchen counter. hold it steady using one hand. hold iphone x using the other and rub the iphone against the capecod cloth.
    thats the most effective method imo

11. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I couldn't agree more. Picked the cloth up on Amazon for $5 and change. Used it on my silver X this weekend to get out some fine scratches and it worked like a charm.

12. partyboy4357 macrumors member

partyboy4357

????

13. ToddH macrumors 65816

ToddH

Yep! After having my iPhone X in a OtterBox defender case, how was able to polish out the micro fine scratches around the stainless steel band! After doing so it looks brand new again thanks to the Cape Cod cloth

14. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

I use Brasso Metal Polish Wadding, just used it on my wife's X after discovering marks from grit getting inside her thin case. (I have same case but remove and clean weekly :rolleyes:)

It's great, just pinch off a tiny amount and polish the marks out....making sure to pinch off a new piece when it goes black.

15. cemong82 macrumors newbie

cemong82

does autosol and other metal polishing products, leaves a micro marring/swirl after we use it to remove scratches ? can we remove the micro marring ?

16. cemong82 macrumors newbie

cemong82

h

will cape cod removes marring caused by removing scratches by autosol ?

17. cemong82 macrumors newbie

cemong82

can you show us a video how to use cape cod without leaving marring ? thanns

18. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

How were you able to polish the edges that meet the glass without buffing the oleophobic coating; or did you avoid that area? Nice job by the way.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That member hasn’t been responsive for over 26 weeks. However, if you just use a Q-tip was just a little bit of solution, take your time and avoid the screen, it shouldn’t be an issue. And you can always mask off the edges of the display with painters tape.