Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Well I know for me, the protection isn't specifically for me, it's more for the resale value - trying to get the most you can. I know there are a few people on this forum where after 2-3 years, they will look for a new computer and don't plan to keep their original so they sell it. Sure the condition doesn't really affect the price but a MacBook Pro in near-perfect condition is better than one that is not.

I - kind of - see the point of that. But the keyboard? Using a layover (for want of a better word) making typing slower in order to protect it because of resale value? I remember seeing those (again back in the day) made from silicone to protect from spills, but as a touch typist they were a no-go. I can see the idea when you have to use a single or two fingers (sort of like on a cash register), but for touch typing?

Idk, it just seems way over the top, and with out putting you (specifically) down, I think it is unnerving how much protective crappola one can buy for Macs, and even more unnerving that people buy it and use it.

It makes me wonder if people buy these computers to put them to actual use or - quite literal - merely pose with them.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Cleaning has nothing to do with the matte finish wearing off the black macbook keys.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
..not that complicated. u pop them off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kg6EfuR-6Y

Thats not a unibody macbook pro though. Is it safe to assume it works the same way with the newer laptops? I remember reading a thread earlier where someone stated that Apple replaced the entire laptop over one faulty key on the keyboard, claiming the laptop would never be the same. I don't know the details, but it might be worth checking out if you are going to try something like this.

apersianboyCOM

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
London, UK
Is it just me, or is just a tad over-the-top having to either "skin" a computer or polish it if one doesn't want it to look tarnished after a few months? I am aware the quality delivered from Apple have been dwindling these last couple of years (hence I finally switched), but kan the new keyboards not even stand up to a couple of months of use?
Or are people just even more OCD than they used to be? I can't think of anyone having to cover up their keyboards in the past. Well, I can, but that was because they were worried about spillage, not because they had to look after the keys.

I have a bit of OCD because I spent so much on my MBP! I pre-ordered it then as I was waiting for it to come I read on 15" MBP threads about the grease marks and that's when I investigated into keyboard skins and found my love for Moshi :)

icedd

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah, I don't know why people don't want to take good care of something you paid top dollar for.

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
I just can't bring myself to cover anything up. I even carry my iPhone naked. I just love the way they all look. Alcohol wipes made for electronics cleans everything off pretty well.

That cover doesn't look too bad though. Thanks for posting the pics.

I agree. Apple designed the product the way they wanted it to look / feel. I get that some people want to protect their purchase, but if it gets in the way of using the product, than you shouldn't use it. Sometimes people are too OCD about things and forget to use the product the way it was intended to be used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.