Poll: 15" MBP - SD Card Slot or Third USB Port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Aug 21, 2009.

?

What would you rather have?

1. SD card slot

30 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Third USB port, i'm always running out of USB ports

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. Bring back the expresscard slot you cheap Apple bastards

46 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

Could someone please explain to me the purpose of the SD card slot? I'd rather have a third USB port. Wouldn't you?

I thought maybe you could use it as a new age floppy drive. However in each scenario I could think of, it would be more useful just to store the data on the hard drive.

Maybe it was to copy pictures from your camera. Isn't it just as easy to copy them via the USB port in the device itself?

I don't understand. I'd rather have a third USB port if you're going to do away with the expresscard slot.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think you needed a whole new thread. If you have to ask what benefit a feature brings then I take back what I said, you don't need the machine.

The SD card slot is great if you shoot with a camera that uses such media. However, since most of what I do is with CF cards, the SD card slot appeals to me because you can boot from it.

If you need tons of USB ports then maybe you need to learn the benefits of BT keyboards and mice and not tying yourself down to a desk at all times. ;)

3. belvdr macrumors 603

I like the SD slot for copying my camera's images. I just pop out the card, pop in a new one, and work away. I don't have to pack cables, and I don't have to worry about the battery of the camera.

I tend not to have a ton of USB devices.

4. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just wondered what people used the SD slot for. I suppose if you take alot of pictures and swap multiple SD cards it would be useful. For me, I have a point and shoot camera and simply USB the pictures onto my hard drive at the end of the day. I would imagine that a pro photographer would make better use of it.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

6. p3ncil macrumors regular

7. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

8. thebrain74 macrumors regular

Expresscard

I use it for a multiple card reader

9. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

ExpressCard. Then you can get an ExpressCard USB adapter if that's what you find lacking.

11. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I'd want an express card and e-sata port. Am I asking too much?

12. McBeats macrumors 6502a

im just STUNNED that only 18% voted for 3rd usb port...

13. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

SD Card Slot for me. I'm a semi-professional photographer, have a gallery of over 20,000 photos, and all my cameras use SD Cards (even my 500D DSLR). USB is TOO SLOW for transferring 5MB photos, SD Card slot is much faster. I have never found myself to use more than two on a notebook, heck, I rarely use one.

Granted, the expresscard/34 slot is useful as multiple adapters are sold, however I believe putting adapters in there spoils the finish of the machine overall, having an SD Card Slot there just makes it all flush.

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm just "stunned" that so many people voted for the silly SD card slot.

15. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

It's not 'silly' if you're a professional photographer.

16. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's silly if you're comparing it to the ExpressCard slot that used to be there. :rolleyes:

Edit: I didn't come here to start a debate. I was just half-parodying the post I quoted.

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

What about CF? Before we could use a reader and read all of the cards out there. Plus it could double as an esata port or 3g port.

Now we are limited to one card, SD. No extras as mentioned before.

Silly I think. Its a step backwards.

18. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Want a 3rd USB port simply because it would allow me to plug in 2 things! Damn ports are too close together!

19. Trexznl macrumors member

I actually don't mind that Apple has introduced SD-card slots into their MBP 13-inch and 15-inch lines.

I'd really like a 13-inch MBP with an SD-card slot, however I've already got a perfectly fine uMB (CE). And I honestly can't justify upgrading it already.
    So, I'll have to stick with my USB-SD-card reader, for a year or.. three, I hope.

But that is my point of view, and I've 'only' got a d40x. I can, however, imagine that some people are heavily bummed by the fact that they've removed the expresscard slot.

They could've given the consumer a BTO option, however that would complicate production and thus costs. Perhaps they should have left EC in the 15-inch, and put SD in the 13-inch.

Instead of a third USB-slot, I'd rather have had two more spaced out USB ports. To be honest, I can't get an USB stick and a mouse to fit together. Or my SD card reader and a mouse, for that matter. (The SD card slot would have solved that problem, but I'll just leave that out for my CE 'sentiments').

The real problem is that one cannot make everyone happy. :(

20. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Isn't that something how that worked out? Had the same issue yesterday. :confused:
    Never used my express card in two years. Used my SD slot a bunch already in only two weeks.

22. hideous.ape macrumors newbie

Compared to what an average Dell contains Macbooks are pretty low on external ports. If Dell can do all the following on the Studio XPS 16 laptop then surely Apple can provide more options.

(2) USB 2.0 compliant ports
    (1) USB 2.0 compliant / e-SATA port with PowerShare
    15-pin VGA video connector
    IEEE compliant 1394a port
    Integrated network connector 10/100/1000 LAN (RJ45)
    54mm Express Card slot
    Display Port
    HDMI Port
    AC adapter connector
    Audio jacks (2 line-out, 1 Mic-in)
    8-in-1 Media Card Reader

23. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Most cameras (emphasis on MOST) use SD cards nowadays, even high-end DSLRs'. As I said, I think that the expresscard/34 slot did ruin the flush of the uMBP though.

Just to stop arguments, they should give the option on CTO's. Expresscard, or SD Card slot.

Either way, I still don't see the point in 3 USB slots. You guys plugging in mice and keyboards so you can sit 1ft further away from your laptop which has all these things built in? Most I've used is 2, and that's in rare cases (Mobile Broadband stick, and external MyPassport) and the MyPassport was only in there to copy a couple of files, after that it was out. I don't see why you'd need 3.

24. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You need to bear in mind :

Dell put ports all along the back, and usually just have 2 USB ports, and a VGA port, and a card reader on the left handside. Apple have decided not to ruin the flushness of the uMBP's by sticking a load of un-needed ports on the back.

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

CompactFlash still beats out SD in the pro market, but if you were a pro, you'd know that. ;)