After months of speculation, we're finally past the "when will they announce the new iMac" question -- so we can move onto the "when will I be able to BUY and USE" my new 27" iMac. So with that in mind, lets start the speculation!
You cannot see upgrade pricing on the UK store. I assume it is the same on other stores. Hopefully that information will be available before preorders so people have time to make the decision over Fusion Drive and other options.
The thread title is asking about the order date, yet the poll results reflect the shipping date, two different things. I'm going to go out on limb and say that we'll be able to order by Black Friday with shipping the first week in December.
I think Apple is being extra cautious here and tempering expectations for a product that has had manufacturing issues.
Got an email from Tim Cook (or someone in his office, more likely) saying, "We will begin taking orders for the new iMacs closer to the initial shipment date." What I don't know is if this means they will start taking orders for 21.5" and 27" iMacs at the same time, even though the ship dates are different, or if they will be staggering the pre-orders with the corresponding ship dates.
Whatever the case, I will be ordering my 27" iMac as soon as it becomes possible. Looks like I've already got a buyer for my 2007 24" iMac, so that will help with the cost (along with the iTunes VIP discount).
I'm gonna have to wait until the first of the year. It'll be delivered too close to Xmas, and I'd rather just wait to see some product reviews anyways. The wife has already ruled out getting it as a "Christmas present" so I can't even use that as a reason to order on day one.