Poll: 4.3 Battery Life compared to 4.2.x

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulianL, Mar 11, 2011.

?

How is battery life on 4.3 after upgrading from 4.2?

1. No change

50 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Slightly worse with iOS 4.3

19 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Significantly worse with iOS 4.3

62 vote(s)
    44.0%
  4. Better with iOS 4.3

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. JulianL macrumors 65816

There are numerous reports on another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1113153) about faster battery drain for some people who have upgraded to 4.3. This sort of thread always seems to crop up with every release but this time it feels to me as if there are fewer "No problems here" people also posting in the thread, the balance of bad news seems higher. I'm nervous about upgrading so I thought that I'd post a poll to try and get some quantatative data.

To not confuse the poll, please only vote if you've upgraded from 4.2.x to 4.3.

- Julian

2. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

It's way too early to tell if there is a consistent difference pre and post updating. At least for me.

3. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

You're probably right. That might explain the skew on the other thread. People with problems will see them quickly because that's what it's all about, the battery draining quickly, but people who are OK should go a few days as before, light users maybe quite a few days.

I hope that's what it is. If this poll doesn't get much response then I'll bump it to bring it back to life in a week or so when people have had a better chance to run a few discharge cycles.

Good feedback. Thanks.

- Julian

4. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Worst update ever.

I wish Apple would allow downgrading in situations like this

5. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

I've lost almost 30% in under 3 hours. Horrible performance.

6. RobertPS macrumors newbie

It's terrible.:(
    My 3GS drains 2-3 faster with very light use.

I have now restarted and will try a restore if that doesn't help.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

8. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

9. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

20 month old 3Gs. 100% on overnight charge when I left for work at 6:45am. Now 9:15am. made three calls totalling 4:37 and watched CNN app video live (earthquake/tsunami) for maybe 15 minutes. 89% right now.

Personally I do not think that's bad. But then I have not been a battery watcher.

Mike

10. = bluntman = macrumors regular

I initially noticed a dramatic battery drain immediately after installing iOS 4.3 on iPhone 4, but after restoring and setting up my phone as a new phone (which was a PITA), everything is back to normal. I even had to reset and re-pair my BlueAnt S4 this morning.

11. aldo82 macrumors regular

I had my iPhone swapped 2 weeks ago for home button issues and noticed much better battery life (maybe my old one had a problem). However on update to 4.3 battery drain has sped up. By lunchtime today I was down to 50% whereas I could often get to the evening before I got to 50% with probably more usage before. One possibility though, maybe 4.3 has messed up the battery calibration so actually the phone isn't draining as fast as it thinks it is. I intended to do a full discharge over the weekend to see if it improves

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I'm thinking of doing. Because it is a PITA, I'm going to hold off until I see how the battery is performing. I just updated to 4.3 this morning.

13. chankla macrumors newbie

Something in 4.3 is making iPhone 4 consume more battery

Notably worse than before, even if phone is just sitting steady state.
    Only change was OS. No other settings or apps changed.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

it's all in your head.

i see no difference.

the people that see a difference are the ones that play with 4.3 for the entire day (using hotspot, airplay, etc.), compared to a regular day where they use their phone when they need to.

then of course, they see 10% battery life at 5pm when at 5pm the day before, they hardly used their phone and the battery was at 70%

15. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't have 4.3 (yet) but I'm 100% sure that there is no change at all in battery life. Stupid theories that are based on a few hours of testing + people WANT to see a change in battery life :rolleyes:. It's actually funny, most people start using their phones more than often to test battery life, and then conclude that battery life is worse.

I completely agree with acfusion29. Change in battery life is in your head, stop OCD'ing about it.

16. JPark macrumors 6502a

Just because you see no difference doesn't mean it's all in my head. I upgraded but have yet to use hotspot or airplay, but I'm seeing far worse battery life. On a day of normal use I used to be able to go two days between charges. Now I'm getting the 20% left message toward the end of day one.

One thing I just noticed that may be causing this: when I upgraded I did a full reinstall. That reset my Brightness setting, to something much brighter than I usually have it. I just lowered it and will see if that makes up the difference.

17. JPark macrumors 6502a

So someone who has zero experience yet is 100% sure should be believed over people who actually have some experience to report on? :rolleyes: The only thing that's 100% is that YOU, without having upgraded yet, can't possibly be 100% certain.

18. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

No change for me either. Why should the update affect the Battery significantly? I have used the Hotspot feature with one connection for 6 hours and got tired over it. There still was enough juice for one or two more hours left.

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

yes it is.

it's just as stupid as people complaining when Apple fixes bugs with a .1 update, that they made battery life worse. how could they make battery life worse when they changed a few lines of CODE? you can't.

this is a similar situation, except they added new features. you can't make the battery worse by adding a few lines of code.

20. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

Decreased battery life here too

Dramatically worse battery life with this update for me. After light use of 1 hour at 100%, battery drops to 79%. Earlier this morning I had 66% before recharging it since the night before with light use. I've never seen the battery drop so fast as it has been these days! (No change in my brightness settings.)

21. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Perhaps try a restore? You definitely should not of seen that type of change.

22. Jayrcee macrumors regular

Jayrcee

23. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

No change whatsoever.

I will also add that these types of threads surface EVERY SINGLE TIME Apple releases a new software update.

Again, there is nothing wrong with 4.3

24. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

but people are moaning because of the amount of % they lose overnight in standby. which shouldn't happen.

25. SuperMacAttack macrumors newbie

It honestly feels the same, but now that I am aware this may an issue I will probably start perceiving things differently... damn human mind tricks.