Poll: 9.7" iPad 1G or 7" iPad 2G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by leisenstein, Oct 15, 2010.

1. leisenstein macrumors member

I'm holding out for an iPad 2G, but I'll be severely disappointed if it only comes in a 7" version. I'll probably buy the 1g if it does.

Anyone else worried about all the rumors of a 7" iPad 2G, and hardly any mention of a successor to the 9.7" version?

Sorry, but ima newb and don't know how to create a poll.

2. Syk macrumors 6502a

I think they'll release both version. At least I hope they do.

I'd like to have one in 7" but I could see why some would want the 9.7"

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

DOn;t hold, go get it, you will be much happier! :D:D

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

Ummm you mean the checkbox that says
    "Yes, post a poll with this thread" when creating a new thread was too complicated?

Also, why would you think they would mention a successor yet? They don't announce new iPhones until approximately a year has passed. You still have a long way to wait to hear about iPad 2G.

Personally, I don't think they will change the size.

5. lozpop macrumors 6502

The 9.7" has got to much success to be deleted.
    I have doubt that the iPad will be 7", but if it will, I'm sure Apple will release two models.

6. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

To a lot of people who've never used these forums before, yes; it's probably not immediately clear how to do it.

7. kyawthura251 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16 BistroBrowser/1.1)

I love my current 9.7 version so far.

8. Kevin Rohrer macrumors newbie

Kevin Rohrer

I bought a 16gig wifi today (am typing on it now) as a trial balloon until the iPad2 is released. So far I love it. A. 7" model won't, sell. I wish they would release one w/ a 9x12 screen.s

9. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

If they build a 7" version, I actually think they'd have it replace the 10" instead of being sold in conjunction with it. I just have a weird feeling that they wouldn't sell two different sizes of this kind of device. I'd have no problem with that either. It'd be like kindle size, and even though i have a 1G i'd still get a 7" 2G.

And that's all IF they make a 7" version. If the iPad was 7" instead of 10, the virtual keyboard would be kinda wonky.

10. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

iPhone?

11. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

The 10" which I'm using to type this is only just big enough to browse comfortably. Many links are so small that if the screen was any smaller I would be unable to hit them accurately unless I zoomed in. I have to do that sometimes now but it is tolerable. Also, the keyboard in landscape mode on the current model is just about normal sized and I can type quite well on it but in portrait mode it is too small so again, the 7" will be too tiny.

12. Syk macrumors 6502a

Actually with a 7" you should be able to thumb type pretty quick if it's setup like the galaxy tab. Look at some of the reviews that are testing the typing.

I still think they could make a 7" probably a 8GB/16GB wifi & a 3G one and a 9.7" 32GB/64GB wifi and 3G

I think Apple will release a 7" they may decide to wait and do it for v3. Waiting to see how RIM's PlayBook is going to do and Samsungs Galaxy Tab although I think the Tabs price is going to kill it. Waaay to expensive to be a major player

13. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

7 inch iPad, no way. And not having a 9.7 inch, makes even less sense. browsing on a 7 would suck. Especially after coming from a 9.7. Media, what's the point. Reading my paper, opening up a PDF or a book -- all harder to read.

Who would come up with a great idea like the iPad, one that is hugely successful and then change the whole thing within a year? Might as well call it the kindle II in that case.

14. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

The landscape keyboard is just a joy to type on. They may introduce more sizes but not this year anyway.

15. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I don't think a 7" will ever replace the 9.7"; I think if it will exist it'll simply compliment the existing iPad.

16. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Donate your money to a charity, that would be much more useful than owning an iPad which is a good-for-nothing device. (Which is why I returned mine.)

17. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Ipad "good for nothing"

You've got to be kidding me. It has almost exclusively replace my netbook for traveling, something I do 4 days a week.

My question is why do you post here at all?

18. SA22C macrumors regular

Says the guy with an XBox, which serves no useful purpose at all to anyone who isn't a professional gamer. :lol:

As to the OP: I really don't think that Apple will release a 7 inch iPad to replace the current form factor. I think that the 9.7 inch, 4:3 aspect iPad hits the sweet spot of portability and screen real-estate. If you haven't read Loop Insight's piece on the 7 inch iPad, it would appear that Apple has developed one in conjunction with the current form-factor since day one and has no plans to release it unless some currently un-released competitor really eats into iPad sales. This makes sense, because as of right now the iPad has no competition so why would Apple release another product that competes with its own offerings, or replace a runaway hit with an unproven model?

The next iPad will have Facetime capability as the main upgrade. I don't see them going too crazy with the iPad for next year.

19. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I'm sure they're not going to release a 7'' iPad because that would mean that developers would have to update all of their apps once again and Apple would have to modify its iOS once again and that would mean that every new release would be delayed (like iOS 4.2) about 4-5 months at least.

20. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

IMO, 9.7 is the perfect size. Not too big or too small.

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

To create an iPadlette at 4x of the iPT/iPh in the same resolution, the resulting device would have a screen size of just under 4 x 6" and a full size probably around 4.75 x 8.5". I think this would be a very good product for portability, easy holding (probably around 12 oz) and decent display space.

The onscreen keyboard would be a bit of a challenge, but a docking keyboard that folds over at G/H would serve well also as a cover for transporting the device. Touch targeting does have its problems (as in hitting the right link), but this could possibly be solved by changing the sensitivity of the screen: moving your finger near to touching could replace mouse-over and clearly identify where you are about to land. This might also benefit other apps.

As far as "modifying the OS" and apps to fit the screen size, jus some slight improvements to the GPU would probably be enough to make this a non-issue by making iOS fully resolution-independent.

A 7~8" design built along these lines would replace the current iPad line for most users, with the large model going for a $1~200.us premium.

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Exactly. Just as the 4:3 aspect ratio is.
    Everything aesthetic about the iPad was a considered solution, decided upon, ages ago.

23. Zcott macrumors 68020

Can you even begin to imagine how awful a widescreen iPad would be?

24. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Steve Jobs quelled the 7" rumor yesterday in the quarterly earnings meeting. There will be no 7".

25. iTouch macrumors 6502

I think the 7" is very possible. If it sells well for other competitors then Apple will make it. I remember Mr. Jobs saying there is no point [money] in making a device like an iPad. The bottom line is if there is money to be made Apple will do it.