Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by arogge
That's ridiculous. With proper cooling, a CPU should be able to run with a 100 percent load continuously. No optimized program code should be able to overload it.

I realize that but this is in fact a documented problem.

Here's the Folding/Gromacs faq page.

http://folding.stanford.edu/gromacs.html

Number 13 on the page says.

Can I turn off SSE/3D-Now!? It causes problems for my system -- it runs too hot or my K6 doesn't have the full 3D-Now you use.

The default config will be for SSE to be on. In the new client, you will be able to manually turn off SSE in the new client G's putting out. The Gro core will do some internal tests to see if SSE is a problem. If these tests indicate that it is, then the Gro core will turn off SSE itself (although one will be able to try to force SSE manually).

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Used to.

I used to on my Dual Ghz, then I didn't like the idea of it always running(I had the scripts, and didn't want to have to manually turn it on an off). The system felt irresponsive. So I killed it.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Used to.

Originally posted by Wes
I used to on my Dual Ghz, then I didn't like the idea of it always running(I had the scripts, and didn't want to have to manually turn it on an off). The system felt irresponsive. So I killed it.

I run it all the time and notice no speed hit. The only time I noticed a hit at all is with UT2003 and then it was only about 3FPS. I that when there is a lack of snap with the GUI it's due to either permissions or prebinding. If those don't fix it it's because you've upgraded from a prior system using the updater and didn't reinstall the system from scratch prior to doing so.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Re: Used to.

Originally posted by Wes
The system felt irresponsive. So I killed it.

They claim it only takes unused CPU cycles, but thats wrong. I was unstuffing a large file, and it stuffit was only getting 60% CPU, while folding was taking 15%

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Used to.

Originally posted by Vlade
They claim it only takes unused CPU cycles, but thats wrong. I was unstuffing a large file, and it stuffit was only getting 60% CPU, while folding was taking 15%

I've never seen it do that I run folding on both processors and when I have other programs going folding is usually occupying 1-2% at the most on both processors.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Seriously people, it doesn't affect CPU speed, I mean if your looking at an app use 100% CPU, yes folding will eat 1-3% CPU because it wants to keep itself running, but it is a low priority app, heck even checking using 'top' will use CPU so...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by MrMacman
Seriously people, it doesn't affect CPU speed, I mean if your looking at an app use 100% CPU, yes folding will eat 1-3% CPU because it wants to keep itself running, but it is a low priority app, heck even checking using 'top' will use CPU so...

Yup exactly. Top uses more CPU cycles when I open it then folding does becaue it kicks folding into a background process.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Re: Re: Re: Used to.

Originally posted by MacBandit
I've never seen it do that I run folding on both processors and when I have other programs going folding is usually occupying 1-2% at the most on both processors.

I will post a screenshot today with a large photoshop filter running :p

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: Re: Used to.

I will post a screenshot today with a large photoshop filter running :p

The way to do it is to open the terminal and run top then go back to photoshop and run the filter and then wait a minute or so then take the screenshot while photoshop is in the foreground and working. If you do it any other way then photoshop will not have preference.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Used to.

Originally posted by MacBandit
The way to do it is to open the terminal and run top then go back to photoshop and run the filter and then wait a minute or so then take the screenshot while photoshop is in the foreground and working. If you do it any other way then photoshop will not have preference.

More reason not to... I want my background tasks to have priority over folding. Show me how, and maybe I'll do it again.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Used to.

Originally posted by Wes
More reason not to... I want my background tasks to have priority over folding. Show me how, and maybe I'll do it again.

Exactly my point, I wasn't unstuffing in the foreground, but it should be more important than folding if they are both background tasks

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.

Originally posted by Wes

Read My Lips :
There is no lower priority then folding, none zippo, nada, nothing.

If you hide something (I think) it had the same as folding, it aint 50/50 folding takes even less.

Exactly my point, I wasn't unstuffing in the foreground, but it should be more important than folding if they are both background tasks
Well tell that to *nix, maybe you can create the next version?

Maybe a Super-low priority mod?

No, I don't think it will happen.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Used to.

If you the top program in the background and unstuffing in the forground then you should see unstuffing taking like 98% of cpu cycles after a few seconds. Every once and a while folding will pop up the chart but will go back down. Remember the sampling time of top isn't all that quick so you have to give things time to react.

My point of putting photoshop in the foreground was not to give it priority over folding as it already has that it was to make sure it had priority over the terminal app with top running. I've seen top take as much as 10% if the terminal is in the foreground. There's also that strong possibility that on a single processor machine that you will never see you primary task take more the 90-95% of cpu cycles due to tasks being performed by the system. In any situation folding is given the lowest priority possible this means that even if you were to find a way to make it a foreground task it would still take priority behind any other task currently running. It may show in top that it's taking as much as 30% cpu time on a rare occasion when you are performing other tasks remember that top samples this means that it could have taken 30% for less then a nanosecond just at the time that top was taking it's sample. I think that if you if you perform a test using a program like photoshop with a filter with folding running and with folding off that a filter that takes 10 minutes to render will take at the most 5-10seconds longer with folding running. The benefit to all humans in general far out weight those the minute you might lose in 10 hours of processing.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002

Originally posted by Wes
I want my background tasks to have priority over folding. Show me how, and maybe I'll do it again.
u could give the core a different priority with the renice command. you have to be a superuser to screw with processes, so u can prefix the command with sudo. the range is from -20 <-> 20 with -20 being more CPU.

sudo renice -20 <pid>

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Used to.

Originally posted by mc68k
u could give the core a different priority with the renice command. you have to be a superuser to screw with processes, so u can prefix the command with sudo. the range is from -20 <-> 20 with -20 being more CPU.

sudo renice -20 <pid>

Background tasks should already have priority over folding. The only way they couldn't be is if the program was given a priority of nice +20 and that hasn't happened because the user doesn't know how to. Even with nice +20 it will only be on par with folding on less then it. There is no way to make a task have less of a priority then folding that is what I was trying to explain in my last post.

temptatino

macrumors newbie
i know i'm going to sound like a complete idiot here.. but how can i set folding to start up automatically? i am using the terminal version. adding the 'osx-3.25' file to login items doesn't work for me. how do i set a unix process to start on startup? thanks.

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
Well since I visit the MacRumors site regularly, I thought it would be nice to join the team. I downloaded and installed the folding software last week and I am now chugging along for the MacRumors site.

I am ranked around 280something, but I hope to increase that in the upcoming days. :D

*waves hi to everyone*

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Yep - not much of a contributor - low power compared to some ;) - but I'm doing my bit.....

D

Ever hear about those killer red ants in Africa? Hundreds of little creatures can devastate entire country sides! (or something like that...so I've been told).

Every little bit helps.:D

- bert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.