Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you involved in the OS X Sierra beta test?

• Yes, currently testing developer preview builds.

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • Yes, currently testing public beta builds.

Votes: 46 41.8%
  • No, and I do not intend to be.

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • No, but I may test later on as stability improves.

Votes: 14 12.7%

• Total voters

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
I went through the sub-forum and don't think a thread had been created for this yet. I'm curious to see how many people are involved in the Developer Preview / Public Beta or have chosen to abstain.

Personally, OS X Sierra is the first release that I so far have no real interest in beta testing, just because on the face of it, there's not a whole lot new beyond Siri integration. OS X 10.11.6 is extremely rock solid at this point, so it doesn't make sense for me to sacrifice stability for a feature that, even on the iPhone, is honestly pretty crappy. Beyond basic queries related to weather and setting alarms, Siri is horrible at understanding the context of a question. I barely use it on my iPhone for this same reason.

The second biggest feature is the ability to unlock with Apple Watch, but how many people actually own one of those? I suspect this is part of a bigger push for some sort biometric authentication on the Mac in the future. Maybe the ability to use a native finger print scanner on a keyboard or mouse.

Thoughts? Are you going to beta test or not bother with it?

Reactions: grahamperrin

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
I'm a developer, but mostly iOS. I don't own an Apple watch, because quite frankly, smart watches doesn't appeal to me too much. I used a Moto 360 for a few months, and having to charge it every night was an annoyance. I almost bought a second charger, since I usually spend the night at work during the week, so when I forgot to bring the charger home, I was left with a useless bracelet the next day.
Although, I recognize the huge advantages of a smart watch, and it do looks very cool, the Moto having the edge over the Apple watch, being round, so looks way better. Although, until they find a way to make a battery that lasts at least a week, I think it will remain a niche product.
I now have a nice Orient automatic watch with a custom NATO strap a-la-james-bond, and I don't even need to change batteries ever. Because it doesn't have batteries :D

Now, back to the main subject. I'm hesitant to replace my perfectly stable 10.11.6 with Sierra, mostly due to the list of incompatibilities, although most of them have been resolved, but the OS shouldn't be at its highest performance. I'm sure it still have a lot of extra logging and testing code, so as a daily driver I believe doesn't make really good sense.

Now, if it gets more stable, I might give it a shot.

Although, since I don't own the watch, I use MacID, which provides kind of the same functionality, but with my iPhone, which is way more convenient, at least to me.

I also don't use Siri ever. I don't live in the US, so most of its functionality doesn't work here.

And as for the other features:

- Memories in Photos: I don't use it. I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
- Apple pay in Safari: We don't have Apple pay in Panama :(
- Universal clipboard: MacID also have kind of the same thing
- Extended storage in iCloud? I use the base 5GB iCloud for iphone backups, mostly, so I don't think I'll get much better storage. Besides, with 512GB, I have enough if I'm careful moving unused item to my external drives
- PIP, Safari extensions and plugins: I don't use Safari
- RAID support? welcomed, but don't plan to use it either. Specially with the inability of upgrading drives on my MBP
- New filesystem? Hmm, I think it won't be here for quite a while

But there is just one single feature I do consider useful, and maybe even worth upgrading, and that is moving folders all the way up to the list. That's it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
how many people would be on the sierra forum who aren't running either the developer or public betas? just seems reasonable that most people here are discussing what they're running...

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
how many people would be on the sierra forum who aren't running either the developer or public betas? just seems reasonable that most people here are discussing what they're running...
The goal is to see who among those that are interested in OS X Sierra are actually running it. This poll obviously isn't scoped for the general public. If it was, then the fact that most people use Windows would skew that to begin with. :p

I'm mainly seeing if people have the same hesitations as I do. martinocando just listed some really good reasons why this OS may not be worth a beta test. I didn't even stop to consider that services like Siri and Apple Pay have limited global availability. Once you knock those out of the picture, this is a pretty sparse upgrade from a feature perspective.

Maybe I would even revise my own position to go a step further and say that it isn't worthwhile to upgrade to Sierra even after it hits GM and to instead wait until a few bug patch releases come out. And this is coming from somebody who usually likes to test bleeding edge stuff related to Apple.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'm not running it on my main Mac, but yes. Sierra is the third beta OS on my 13" rMBP, I also ran early betas of Yosemite, El Capitan without so much as a clean install.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
The goal is to see who among those that are interested in OS X Sierra are actually running it. This poll obviously isn't scoped for the general public. If it was, then the fact that most people use Windows would skew that to begin with. :p

I'm mainly seeing if people have the same hesitations as I do. martinocando just listed some really good reasons why this OS may not be worth a beta test. I didn't even stop to consider that services like Siri and Apple Pay have limited global availability. Once you knock those out of the picture, this is a pretty sparse upgrade from a feature perspective.

Maybe I would even revise my own position to go a step further and say that it isn't worthwhile to upgrade to Sierra even after it hits GM and to instead wait until a few bug patch releases come out. And this is coming from somebody who usually likes to test bleeding edge stuff related to Apple.

got it.

here, AM running it on my main mac (since it's my only mac). of all the public betas i've run (since apple started the program), this one's the buggiest (but not keeping me from getting my work done). 90% of the time, i can do what i need to do faster & easier then thinking out what i'd ask siri to do (don't use it much on my phone either). a (potentially) good upgrade from el cap, but not urgent...

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Running the Public Beta here for day-to-day things, though still have an iMac with El Cap to use if needs be.

(Spoiler: it's very unstable at the moment.)

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Am running the Sierra Public on an external USB SSD (EVO 850) - did a clean install on a new drive and migrated data and files after installing Sierra. Am booting from the external SSD and have been using it as my working drive. So far I find this upgrade has less problems and issues than upgrading to El Capitan.

I still have OS X 10.11.6 on the internal SSD but plan to swap them this week and keep the original (in USB caddy) as a back up in case I want or need to go back to El Capitan - pretty sure I will not need to do that.

At first - this was just a way to test for any applications that might not work with Sierra ( ie office 2011, Filemaker, Thunderbird, Transmit) and see what might need to be upgraded / purchase new version etc. But I have not found any apps that need to be upgraded or have any major bugs.

Also iOS10 on iPhone and iPad

waldo647

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
I would really like to hear how stable Sierra beta 4 is on current hardware. I'm already running iOS 10 and watchOS 3 beta 4's, which are fairly solid.

As an IT guy, the auto unlock feature really appeals to me. If I can make it work like my Kaiser doctor (their name tag proximity unlocks & re-locks their Kaiser PC), that could be helpful.

I do rely on Adobe Lightroom CC for my photography as well as Office 2016. Agreed on 10.11.6 being solid. Most of my users will probably stay there till January, if the pattern of the past few years continues.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I tried the first two public betas on my mid 2011 Mac Mini but it didn't support many of the new Sierra features (No handoff/continuity features, no Siri since I don't have external microphone) and introduced bugs in previously stable applications (Map was displaying artifacts on the map tiles, Finder was misbehaving) so I have since downgraded back to El Capitan.

I may try it again after labor day.

waldo647

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
I tried the first two public betas on my mid 2011 Mac Mini but it didn't support many of the new Sierra features (No handoff/continuity features, no Siri since I don't have external microphone) and introduced bugs in previously stable applications (Map was displaying artifacts on the map tiles, Finder was misbehaving) so I have since downgraded back to El Capitan.

I may try it again after labor day.

Right, I have a 2010 MacBook Air for testing, but it's not all that indicative of current hardware. So, it's my main work computer at stake... I was going to wait till mid-August (the 5th beta), but have a little more time now for testing.
- Chris

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Right, I have a 2010 MacBook Air for testing, but it's not all that indicative of current hardware. So, it's my main work computer at stake... I was going to wait till mid-August (the 5th beta), but have a little more time now for testing.
- Chris
Just so you're aware (for the watch unlocking), you would either need a 2013 Mac/MacBook or newer, or go to the lengths to have the Bluetooth / Wifi up to the same specs as the 2013's (some of us are replacing the Broadcom modules in our MacBooks). A number of people haven't been able to get it working on Developer Preview 4, so it's a little temperamental at the moment. :)

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
Have been involved in beta testing since Apple started doing Public Beta's in 2014. Have pre release software on all of my Apple devices, which are all primary ones since I only have one of each. Not bothered if anything goes wrong as I have iCloud backups and time capsule backup for my iMac. Also send feedback for any bugs I come across.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

I was a beta tester for OS X Yosemite and El Capitan and I would ALWAYS in the past get the new OS on the first day and started with updating to OS X Snow Leopard way back. My zeal for the newest OS or now MacOS (or whatever) has died after many issues, and I mean many issues with El Capitan until OS X 10.11.6 which is now finally a somewhat solid bill.

I (to my surprise) have zero interest in Sierra, but read this forum to "try" to get a Reason to update. I have five macs and have not found a compelling reason to use Siri (especially on a Mac) or as Microsoft is leading to move everything to cloud base desire the same from My OS. I am shock to find that I see no reason or interest in the new OS. Dark mode may be cool, but other than that....why? Spend a year as if torturing myself like Yosemite and El Cap with the headaches of issues until Apple finally gets it right with the last version that is somewhat stable....tired of dealing with the issues. I have to work...

I (cringe) have been playing with Windows 10 since I like to explore new technology and have on occasion play with versions of Linux and its brothers to keep me entertained since Apple as far as the Mac has taken a dive. Sadly Sierra is a zero in my book... :( If Windows 10 has my interest, it is a sad day indeed...

Last edited:

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia
I was a beta tester for OS X Yosemite and El Capitan and I would ALWAYS in the past get the new OS on the first day and started with updating to OS X Snow Leopard way back. My zeal for the newest OS or now MacOS (or whatever) has died after many issues, and I mean many issues with El Capitan until OS X 10.11.6 which is now finally a solid bill.

I (to my surprise) have zero interest in Sierra, but read this forum to "try" to get a Reason to update. I have five macs and have not found a compelling reason to use Siri (especially on a Mac) or as Microsoft is leading to move everything to cloud base desire the same from My OS. I am shock to find that I see no reason or interest in the new OS. Dark mode may be cool, but other than that....why? Spend a year as if torturing myself like Yosemite and El Cap with the headaches of issues until Apple finally gets it right with the last version that is somewhat stable....tired of dealing with the issues. I have to work...

I (cringe) have been playing with Windows 10 since I like to explore new technology and have on occasion play with versions of Linux and its brothers to keep me entertained since Apple as far as the Mac has taken a dive. Sadly Sierra is a zero in my book... :( If Windows 10 has my interest, it is a sad day indeed...

Funny, this is my experience too. (except Yosemite worked very well for me)

Up until Ep Cap I had super success running the betas, but even 11.11.6 still has bugs I am fighting. (This has been the rockiest OS version I have endured in recent memory).

I have loaded Sierra on my wife's Macbook Air daily driver and she really hasn't had any issues but also hasn't noticed anything different.

I have to wait for some key programs to be 'officially' 10.12 ready before I upgrade any more machines.... I had a Sierra VM running but it crashed so hard a week ago the VM will not boot and I haven't had a pressing need to rebuild it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i dunno. this is my only bad beta experience with apple. my phone won't sync over wifi. my calendar (continues) to make false entries. some random weird behaviors. and... have had 4 major sleep crashes (woke 3 mornings to find my mac burning up, black screen...had to shut down with the power button). not finding much new i need (i can do 95% of the things siri can do easier on my own). hmmmm.....

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
PB on my only MBP. It's running fine although battery life could be better.

I have chosen not to run PB on my watch, iPhone, or iPad.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Funny, this is my experience too. (except Yosemite worked very well for me)

Up until Ep Cap I had super success running the betas, but even 11.11.6 still has bugs I am fighting. (This has been the rockiest OS version I have endured in recent memory).

I have loaded Sierra on my wife's Macbook Air daily driver and she really hasn't had any issues but also hasn't noticed anything different.

I have to wait for some key programs to be 'officially' 10.12 ready before I upgrade any more machines.... I had a Sierra VM running but it crashed so hard a week ago the VM will not boot and I haven't had a pressing need to rebuild it.

Using your wife's laptop instead of one of yours to see if it is ok is kind of risky in my book. I do not want to have to sleep on the couch... :). I take the plunge first and if it is safe update my wife's. Makes for a happier home. :)

Actually, Yosemite had less problems than El Cap. When I used the beta and I still prefer Yosemite over El Cap even though all my macs have El Cap running on it. Yosemite seems to be a bit faster on the click, but will stick with El Cap. It is not the Snow Leopard replacement unfortunately, but is able to run decently on older macs like my 2009 Mac mini and 2010 MacBook Pro.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I'm a registered developer and currently testing all betas (iOS 10, macOS Sierra, watchOS 3 and tvOS 10). I've been doing iOS betas since iOS 5. For watchOS and tvOS from the first beta available. And I've bought my first Mac last February, so this is the first time I'm testing a OS X/macOS beta.

And despite some issues with every beta I've never had any regrets. The only time I downgraded was with iOS 9 beta 1, because of the huge battery issues (which everyone was having by the way). iOS 10 also comes with lower battery life, but I'm lucky to have a Smart Battery Case which allows me to get through the day anyway. MacOS Sierra beta 4 wasn't that good either, mostly because I've had three crashes and Safari was very slow in loading tabs every time I clicked one. Beta 5 has so far been a major difference for that last issue.

But again, no regrets. I realise that testing betas comes with risks and I fully take my own responsibility for that. The new features I get in return make it all up to me. For macOS Sierra it is Siri, Auto Unlock, Universal Clipboard, iCloud Desktop & Documents, and Picture-in-Picture that made me wanna upgrade right away. I'm pretty satisfied with macOS Sierra, as it is a nice upgrade. Not as major as iOS 10 is to iOS 9, but it definitely brings some welcome features to the overal experience.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
I (to my surprise) have zero interest in Sierra, but read this forum to "try" to get a Reason to update. …

My interest is marginal. My increased presence in recent weeks was largely to kill time around an OS that's familiar to me. Now shifting back to alpha/beta testing a FreeBSD-based OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.