Poll: AT&T Double Mobile Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Sep 28, 2014.

?

Who gave up AT&T Unlimited Data today or will soon?

Poll closed Nov 17, 2014.
  1. I gave up unlimited data today.

19.7%
  2. I plan on giving up unlimited data this week.

6.6%
  3. My death alone will be the end of my unlimited data plan.

29.5%
  4. Still on the fence but really, really tempted.

44.3%
  1. megapopular, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

megapopular macrumors 6502a

Who gave up their AT&T unlimited data today for the limited time promo? And for those who haven't yet are you really thinking it over or just not ready to part with your unlimited data yet?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

3. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

took me a minute to finish adding the poll questions... didn't forget. :)

4. itjw macrumors 65816

I did. Throttling at 5GB was the decisive factor. It made unlimited much more limited (even though it was still immensely valuable).

I'm curious to see how fast I'll hit 40GB in throttled. May need to watch myself, as even though I've only been averaging 12-15, that was throttled after 5.

The wife never uses more than a couple, and the kids were on dumb lines with data blocks (wifi only).

So triple the data unthrottled, no minutes to deal with (wife did go over from time to time... Women still talk evidently), tethering(!), and it lasts until I change it?

Done

The unlimited throttled days are over for me. Hope 35GB is enough :)

5. joelb727 macrumors regular

Been with ATT for 17+ years. Former grandfathered customer on both my wife's and my lines. Moved to NEXT today after much thought. Honestly, I was an idiot because we've only upgraded our iPhones every three years, so as not too loose the ability to upgrade when we were compelled by an iPhone we thought worthy. So that means that for two years over the past six, I've been overpaying for our devices to ATT.

Lower bill. Flexibility to upgrade each year if we want to. No hidden costs or overpaying for devices. Flexibility to bump up my data plan "on an as needed basis" if I think i'm going to be over 30gb (and we've been throttled before). Plus, my wife and I (even with robust traveling schedules) seem to jump from wifi to wifi in our daily lives.

I like that there are more choices now. I'm hoping that I don't regret it later.

6. winterny macrumors 6502

I gave up my unlimited AT&T account on the preorder, when I switched to T-Mobile (unlimited).

From what I've seen, AT&T must have lost *a lot* of customers to T-Mobile around this launch, as I personally know 5 people who independently decided to switch to T-Mobile at the same time.

I'm certain this promotion is an attempt to slow down that bleeding.

7. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I'll never give up my unlimited data unless I switch carriers. It's too good of a deal for me at $70/month unlimited everything.

8. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I hope they slowly trickle this down into the more reasonable data packages.

As the years advance, 2-3 Gb per line is not enough. They should double that to 4-6 Gb at the current prices in the near future.

An 8 Gb for the price of 4 Gb promotion would gain a lot of customers I bet.

And you're not taxing the network nearly as much as you are when you're giving away 15 free GB.

9. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Wasn't the "unlimited" data plan throttle point at 3GB in the past?

If it's now 5GB, that means that AT&T will probably raise it higher in the future, as data becomes even more prevalently used.

They will need to pry it out of my cold, dead hands to get that "unlimited" data plan away from me before I changed.

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

They only raised it when LTE released. It's still 3 Gb for HSPA+ phones.

Maybe they'll raise it whenever 5G is a thing 10 years from now.

11. Clevans macrumors regular

I had given mine up last week. We had 2 lines with unlimited, 1 with 3 GB, a fourth that only had 300 MB, and a dummy line (someone put their phone through the wash once....). Our bill was around 260 a month with my 23% discount, and between the 4 lines that use data we maybe used just over 10 GB. My husband would use 5-6 GB because of using internet radio at work every day, and then get throttled. I had switched to the 15 GB mobile share plan last week for 175.10 for the 5 lines....tonight I upgraded that to 30 GB for the same cost! I realized I was paying for unlimited use that we weren't even coming close to using to the most of its potential. Now we can use our wifi iPads using hotspot, as I had been considering adding an iPad onto our plan this will save more money

12. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I still won't give up my unlimited. Even for the 30GB plan, I'd be paying at least $40 more a month than my unlimited plan. Maybe if I had more lines or devices it would be worth it, but with just two smartphones (not on Next plans), it's not.

13. itjw macrumors 65816

Don't get me wrong, unlimited has its value, especially on solitary lines.

40GB is more than I could consume throttled even if I tried though. It gets annoying, especially when it happens 6 days into cycle. It's usable, but that's about all.

I'm excited about tethering too...

40GB unthrottled vs 12-15GB with throttling after 5GB is what it boiled down to for me. 20GB? Pass. But 40? That's a lot even for a "power user" considering wifi is almost everywhere.

I'll use it for streaming tv while driving, but downloading has always been done on wifi, even when I was unlimited.

14. cnotes2019 Suspended

15. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

I gave up my unlimited a few years ago, mostly as I was on a family plan and mobile share would fit my needs and save a ton of money in the long run.

I never have been able to use huge amounts of data, so unlimited was really limited by my usage.

But we know have 6 (soon to be 7) LTE capable iOS devices on the mobile share group, so i just bumped us from 10 to 30. My corporate discount eats some of that cost, so it just made sense to go ahead and bump up. I can always move back down if need be.

16. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Very similar situation. Been with AT&T forever. Always swore I'd NEVER give up my unlimited. However, the 5GB throttle pushed me over the edge.

I'd rather have data that is full speed the entire time AND includes the hotspot. Today I bumped my 10GB plan to 15GB to take advantage of the double offer so now I have 30GB. Couldn't be happier. The "unlimited" wasn't unlimited anyway and I like the 0% financing of NEXT.

:apple:

17. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

this is an amazing deal!!! i jumped up from 10gigs to 30gigs

18. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

19. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I can see this plan being a godsend for people who are forced to use cellular data due to not having landline data at their location.

20. bielen macrumors regular

Voted incorrectly. I'm not giving up unlimited this week nor do I have any plans to do so in the near term.

21. ame8199 macrumors 6502

I gave up mine when I preordered my phone, wish they'd double the under 10 g now

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It's damn tempting. My wife and I will probably give up unlimited for this. We are just waiting for more phones to come in stock, then make the jump.

We're already out of contract any way, so we are in no hurry, especially if we have until the end of October.

BL.

23. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I gave up unlimited last year and haven't looked back. throttled after 5GBs was a joke. switched to the 10GB mobile share and just today, switched again to the 30GB. having gone over the 10GB a few times and cutting back the final week of our month to avoid going over, I won't have to worry about it anymore.

24. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I just don't like the idea of having to turn in my old working phone to upgrade to a new one under Next

In the past I've sold my device reaping more cash then their trade in value or getting credit with family using it as a hand me down.

God forbid it's broken after the Next interval is up

25. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I gave up my unlimited the very first time I was throttled at 3GB on my iPhone 4. 10GB was enough for my usage at the time but my work situation has changed and so I was streaming a lot more recently. Would have to cut back usage for the last week or so to avoid hitting 10GB's.

Switched to the 30GB plan yesterday. Won't have to worry about it for a very long time.

It was always my assumption that unlimited data wouldn't be coming back but that tiered data would be so plentiful that it would, essentially, not be factor. In all, with the new 30GB plan and the discounts given on the MSVP, I'm paying almost what I was paying 3 years ago for my two lines with unlimited data. And that's including Next payments for a 32GB iPhone 5S and a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus.