Poll: Best 3d App for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andy.barron, Jul 22, 2008.

1. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Ok, what do you use & why is it the most intuitive & best app?

I am guessing that what you are used to is the best, but would like some real feedback/arguments as to what apps are better than others & why.

Cheers all for any input on this.:D

2. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

MY TOP 10 (in no order):

1) Transmission with TVShows (Freeware): Probably the best and most appealing bittorrent client ever with very powerful features.

2) Skitch (Shareware): Beautiful and easy to use screen grabbing, image editing and online sharing tool!
    Especially helpful for forum users and bloggers too.

3) VLC (Freeware) + Perian (free codec pack): Nowadays, one of the best and most reliable video players that supports nearly every format and any DVD region!

4) Photoshop CS3: A must have for every creative mac user! I use it a lot in combination with Illustrator CS3.

5) AppZapper (Shareware): Get easily rid of all the superfluos apps that poison your HD and slow it down without leaving any traces behind!

6) Delicious Library (Shareware): Catalog everything with a little help from your iSight!

7) iFreeMem (Shareware): Revitalize your memory without having to restart!!!

8) Max (Freeware): Rip audio CDs and convert sound files to any format with this easy to use, yet very powerful app!

9) QuickSilver (Freeware): QuickSilver is to your Mac, like Alfred to Batman/Bruce Wayne! :D

10) Yojimbo (Shareware): Stay organized with a trustworthy application!

Honorable mentions: Firefox, Unison, Toast, The Unarchiver, Textmate, SimplyRAR, Leech, Font Explorer X, Candybar, and BluePhoneElite 2.

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Judging by the topic title, I'm assuming he wanted 3D modeling apps, not your favorite apps.

To OP, I'm not educated in this area much but Blender is an open source 3d modeler that works on the Mac. http://www.blender.org/

4. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

I'm so sorry! :(
    I think I missed the "3d" while reading the title.

Well, I use Maya for 3D modelling and Cinema 4D for animations and matte painting!

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

VMware

best app by far for 3D modelling on mac unfortunately

luckily, Rhino is being developed for the mac, but don't expect it until next year

seriously, for 3D modelling, Rhino is fantatic

6. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent, thanks for your input!

fallinangel, what is the reason to use Maya for modelling & C4D for animations etc.? does one fall short on either use?

Really interested in that!

7. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

For personal use, there are options like Blender, etc.

For professional use...Maya is the standard in feature film, 3dsMax in gaming. So learning one of the these makes sense based on what area of the industry you wish to work.
    OTOH, most of the big studios have their own proprietary software.

For modeling, I would go with Modo. If DigitalFish ever offers their animation app to the public, that is without doubt the way to go.

I work in Maya on personal projects. It runs OK on the Mac, but there are far more plugins,etc for Maya on the PC or Linux. Also, Maya just runs better on a pc. Sad, but true. Many of my buddies run Maya on a Windows partition on their Macs. I have it installed on a windows partition, but for some strange reason never use it...and just live with Maya in OS X.