Poll: Current 3g Owners Screwed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TechWhore, Jun 8, 2009.

?

Should AT&T allow current 3G owners to purchase the 3GS at the subsidized rate.

Poll closed Jul 8, 2009.
  1. Yes, for all 3G owners

43 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. Yes, as long it is w/in a month or 2 that they would be eligible.

11 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. No, Grumble Grumble You signed a contract

40 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. No, Grumble Grumble Grumble I need to adhere to rules or the wold goes into anarchy.

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. TechWhore macrumors regular

I am one of those crazy earlier adopters, I had the iPhone 2G the 1st day and the same with the 3G. I know there are some out there that would tell me you signed a 2year contract, you have to wait but here are my thoughts....

1.) I switched from VZW to the piece of S*** that is AT&T, and I bought the 3G resigning my 2 year contract, breaking/negating my first contract. Oh whats that you say neigh sayer... the first wasn't subsidized and so there for the 2nd one is.... well yeah about that... I clearly remember Apple giving us $100 back because they dropped the price soon after. That's right... in there own way they subsidized it.

2.) I am told I can pick an iPhone 3GS up on July 14th at the discounted price, by this measure AT&T is already negating the contact.... what is 1 extra month?

3.) Currently it is cheaper for me to cancel, take the early termination fee and sign back up.... although I lose my phone number. Does that make sense?

2. karterius macrumors member

3. MTI macrumors 65816

To the OP, could you please described the caliber and model gun that was held to your head when you bought your phone and agreed to the terms of the contract? :cool:

4. Dmich116 macrumors member

They are still making money so I doubt ATT cares

5. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Mommys have told all of these people " no subsidized price, no phone" so they come here to whine.

6. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

LMAO ... People like you (the OP) are ridiculous.

You bought a product that came with two years worth of strings attached to it. Man up and deal with it.

7. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

People would probably whine if they were able to get the phone for free. Just pay the damn price and quit complaining.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

So if you take a loan to buy a house, and halfway through it you decide to buy another house should the bank just forget the money you still owe them and give you more to buy a new house?

9. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Tbh, now the reality distortion field has worn off, it's pretty obvious that unless you're one of those people who can't live without snapping everything they see on their phone or taking crappy quality videos of mundane garbage to pollute YouTube with, 3GS is a very frivolous upgrade - even for those with the deepest of pockets.

In fact, this whole thing has just reinforced how stupid the iPhone is. 18 month contracts, poor SMS & minute allowances for ridiculous prices, a very lightly subsidised handset. I'll be damned if I renew my iPhone's O2 contract, let alone buy into a new handset and contract.

I think we all need a little perspective here, fawning over a $199+ cell phone, in awe over how 'cheap' it is.

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

They gave you $100 credit to use at the Apple Store. They didn't exactly hand you cash. And it had nothing to do with a subsidy since that's AT&T's discount, not Apple's.

They aren't negating the contract, the "upgrade" option is a part of the contract. Usually it's about a year into it, if you pay your bills on time.

You pay $175 (-$5 every month you've been under contract), lose your phone number...and have to way 90 days (I believe) to sign up for a new account with your name.

11. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I wish we all could get the new iphone for the lower price, but we can't. We signed up for that 2 year contract. Now if you really want the new phone go get it, or not. At&t is a business, if it was any other phone you sign up for two years, thats that. Why should "iPhone" users be any different. Will I pay the higher price, as of right now I have not decided, but if I do I will pay the higher price because I know it's what I choose, and got myself into because I signed the contact and nobody made me.

12. dagomike macrumors 65816

13. airlights macrumors regular

lol, the people who voted the first choice need to get a clue.

14. ccb4life macrumors newbie

Bottom line is that if you eliminate AT&T, the iphone is the best phone out there once you add in the missing features now included in 3.0.

Wish list for 4.0 upgrade: the ability to open up multiple programs and turn on Navigation (being able to use Garmin, Telenav or anything else).

Wish list for 3GS: A removable/replaceable battery.

Of course we want the latest and greatest; who doesn't? We didn't get screwed with the 3G or the 2G (and yes I am a first day owner of both). We got what we wanted at the price we were willing to pay. I am sure that all of those complaining now will have the 3GS by Christmas. :)

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You signed a contract, deal with it. I'm not eligible to upgrade until November, it is not going to kill me or anyone else to wait a few months.

16. randomusername macrumors 6502

Why is it that so many iPhone users think they're being ripped off when they're just being treated like every other cell phone buyer? You only got the upgrade price from the iPhone to the iPhone 3G because you didn't get any subsides on the first generation iPhone. Now that the iPhone 3G was subsidized, AT&T has to make their money back. They're not going to just let you buy another phone for $400 off. You're lucky that they're offering you $200 off if you're not upgrade eligible. Deal with it, you whiney bitches.

17. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Remember its not just the $299, $399, $499 fee for the upgrade, you also get a nice little $18 upgrade fee on your next bill compliments of AT&T!!!!!

18. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

At least Sprint now allows customers with the Simply Everything plan (which is what is on par with AT&T's iPhone plan) to a full upgrade after a year. I only wish AT&T did that!!!