Poll: Did this update brick your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megfilmworks, Sep 27, 2007.

?

Did this upgrade brick your iPhone?

1. Yes, its a paperweight

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. No problems

45 vote(s)
    70.3%
  3. Bricked but I fixed it

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Bricked and I never used jailbreak or unlocked

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Did you brick your iPhone with this new update?

2. bentup macrumors member

No brick (AppTap was installed), but no 3rd party apps anymore either :(

3. megfilmworks thread starter macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

My iPhone (an original iDay phone) which had been hacked and restored weeks ago had no problems. My girlfriend's iPhone which is only a week old and never had any hacks failed 3 times to restore. I restarted her laptop and then bingo it worked. Phew. The only difference is she has an older G4 15" aluminum Powerbook and I have a new Intel 17".

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I don't think you're going to get the info you want from this thread, all the people that have unlocked their iPhones (the ones that would be bricked) probably haven't updated because they don't want to be bricked.

5. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

That's true. I've seen quite a few posters indicating that they would not be updating their phones. Why would someone with an unlocked phone want to willingly have it locked up on them anyway???

I'm sure it won't be long before the iPhone Dev team has an answer to the 1.1.1 update.

6. megfilmworks thread starter macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

There are a lot of posts where unlocked iPhones have been updated.

7. mapezzul macrumors newbie

Never messed with the phone and it took three times to update it. Needed everything restored and needed the reactivation screen. Not sure the deal but that is lousy, lousy product updating if you ask me.
    Not to mention you think they could have made more widgets available such as a converter built into the calculator since they changed the icon. Not impressed with this update and see little gains as the "new" features should have been there before, give me a break about the turning EDGE off that is going to equate to a lawsuit sooner than later.

8. megfilmworks thread starter macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

It seems like a lot of people have problems updating, whether their iPhones were hacked or not. May have something to do with the new encryption technology Apple seems to be incorporating to close down the iPhone to hacking.

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

This poll really needs the option of knowing if you updated with a locked or unlocked phone...

In other words, a selection that reads:

• Yes, and I had an unlocked phone.

and another that reads:

• Yes, and I didn't have an unlocked phone.

As it now stands, we can't tell the difference for successful attempts, only for failed ones.

10. suneun macrumors member

Bleh I'm a little annoyed. My iphone is 2.5 weeks old, and I updated it today after reading about the update. I figured since I have made zero modifications to the iphone that I'd be fine.

I walk over to the other computer to pick up my iphone and TA DA! An error has occurred. My iphone tells me to connect back to iTunes. iTunes wants to do a full restore.

Bah. I lost about 8 photos, none of them important but still annoying. I probably lost at least one contact number. I don't use iPhoto and I hadn't spent any time figuring out how else to back up the photos. I don't know what else I've lost since it hasn't finished restoring.

11. megfilmworks thread starter macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I agree, it must have been the heat of the moment.

12. lfletch macrumors newbie

lfletch

8 photos lost? How about all contacts/photos/settings?

Well, you are lucky. Were you using PC to update?
    If so, I'd sure like to know your secret. My iPod Touch has never been jailbroken. And still, I cannot update/restore on my PC. Have to use someone's Mac to do it and then re-enter my settings, INCLUDING my entire Contact List. The update from a few days ago fixes the PDF security hole. For those of you who have given up, I don't blame you.....but I sure wouldn't want to be using an iPhone or iPod Touch that can be hacked easily, as is the case right now. Don't download any PDFs.
    Apple sucks!
    ==================================================

13. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

You know that the last post in this thread was about 3 years ago don't you?

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that if you can fix it then it's not really "bricked."

That's the whole point of calling it bricked...your phone is now just like a brick.

I've never heard of anyone taking a real brick and turning it into a cell phone.

15. xraytech macrumors 68030

Worked fine for me.

I think it's the vocal minority that make it seem that way.

Also all this talk about "Bricking" your iPhone. Not completely true. It's quite hard to actually "Brick" an iPhone from doing a simple update or even a botched Jailbreak. 99.99% of the time all you have to do is just do a restore and your good. And if can't restore, it's usually on the iTunes side that is "Bricked".