Poll: Did you disable the killswitch after jailbreaking your iPhone 4?

Did you disable the killswitch after jailbreaking your iPhone 4?

• Yes

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

Vinnie Madrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
HowELL, NJ
i disabled it. if i start seeing people complaining that an app they just downloaded doesn't work anymore or misyeriously got deleted, i'll look into it. i don't want apple killing Mywi LoL

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I am glad I looked at this thread, i don't want apple to do anything to my device unless I ask them to. With that said...

The choices are "apple killswitch -on or off"

This may seem like a dumb question but if I don't want them to have access I need to have it "OFF" right?

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
The killswitch is the ability of Apple to remotely disable and delete an application on all iPhones. The idea behind it is to protect users from malicious software by stopping it before it spreads and causes damage. Some people choose to disable it to protect against Apple's potential to abuse its power by targeting jailbroken devices.
WOW! So that's what the kill switch does. I saw it, wondered what it does, then turned it off because I didn't want to destroy anything on my own. Damn, Steve has a master nuke button. Control freak!

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I think if apple pulls the kill switch on something it'll garner that there's no way I won't heat about it. That being said, I disabled the killswitch because if apple pulls it, I'll know about it and decide why measures to take for myself.

256bit

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
The question comes down to: Do I trust Steve Jobs, a known control freak (killswitch on), or 6 billion other people who's intentions are unknown?(killswitch off)

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
WOW! So that's what the kill switch does. I saw it, wondered what it does, then turned it off because I didn't want to destroy anything on my own. Damn, Steve has a master nuke button. Control freak!
Google actually has this too and have used it, it's a necessity though to have it on android because of the unmonitored market place.

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
I don't like SBSettings (**** ugly on iPhone 4), so I guess my killswitch is still on.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Did Apple ever used this so called "killswitch" so far?
No they've never used it. They'd only use it in an extreme situation where they somehow let through an app that starts installing malicious stuff on the phone or something evil. I think it's extremely unlikely they'll ever use it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I don't like SBSettings (**** ugly on iPhone 4), so I guess my killswitch is still on.
If you get the right skin it looks pretty nice.
The stock icons and colors on it are not that great IMO.

No they've never used it. They'd only use it in an extreme situation where they somehow let through an app that starts installing malicious stuff on the phone or something evil. I think it's extremely unlikely they'll ever use it.
I agree.
I dont think its anything we should be worrying about.

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
You mean something like the loading of a PDF giving a hacker full access to your device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.