[Poll] Do you have a Chromebook?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ozaz, Jun 9, 2016.

?

Do you have a Chromebook or Chromebox?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2016.
  1. Yes - and use

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Yes - but don't use / barely use

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. No - but thinking of getting one soon

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. No - and no plans to get one

22 vote(s)
    41.5%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. ozaz macrumors 65816

Out of curiosity, I'm interested in how many on here have a Chromebook/Chromebox or are interested in getting one soon.

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

We are on our 2nd Chromebook..an Asus model that my son still uses a bit for some schoolwork and watch YouTube. If the new integration of Android apps proves worthwhile, I'll consider using one if a manufacturer (preferably Google) makes a high quality tablet hybrid along the lines of the iPad Pro or Surface Pro 4 in side, with the removable keyboard and touchscreen.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm looking to get my first Chromebook very soon. Wanna get one for under $200 new. I see several of them in that price range, most which are 2gb ram and 16gb flash, which is okay with me. Any good suggestions?

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'll replace my laptop with this generations pixel once it's been superseded

5. LukeWorm macrumors newbie

LukeWorm

I wil replace my 10 year old Thinkpad Z60m (running Linux Mint), used as common internet machine.

6. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

Just bought one..need to get use to it since android apps are coming and hopefully chrome OS is the future of google hybrid tablet laptop devices

7. three macrumors 6502a

three

I've had them in the past, but I'm considering picking up another one due to the Android applications and the such.

8. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anyone have experience using Remote Desktop from Chrome OS to Windows or Mac?
    Does it work ok?

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I have a Dell chrome book.

I don't use it, but it is pretty nice.

10. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I don't have one and don't need one. But they intrigue me and I'm tempted to get one just to see what it is like.

11. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I had the Samsung Chromebook 3. My husband broke it :rolleyes:but I used it for 2 years and I loved it. It was light, fast and required little maintenance. It was what prompted me to get the macbook air.

12. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I have an HP Google Chrome book 14 inch and it is a fine machine, fast, great on and off speed.

13. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

If you want android apps, the asus flip chromebook has them now if you are willing to use the developer version of chrome os...really buggy currently though

14. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I bought the current Pixel Chromebook after enjoying a less expensive Asus model.

Nothing beats my selection of current Mac laptops, especially my much loved 15" MBPr, but the Pixel is an amazing fun Internet laptop.

As one who greatly prefers the laptop form factor, having a selection of choices is very nice.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I am on this Asus sub-note I got 2 holidays ago from the MS Store for $160 w/ Windows 8 and upgraded it to Windows 10 - cheaper than any Chromebook and has real Windows on it.

I got a Kangaroo PC from the MS Store for $99 with real Windows 10 on it instead of a Chromebox.

Use Steam and an old version of MS Office, so Chrome anything is out-of-the-question.

These machines running real Windows are a better value anyways...

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Only if running Windows has value..

If you just want to open it up and do internet stuff then a Chrome Book will have more value

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I got this Asus on sale for $150 with Windows - most Chromebooks I've seen start at $189. I hardly call that more value.

If ChromeOS is supposed to be free, why are the machines more money? :eek:

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It doesn't really change what I said any

19. frank.deale macrumors regular

20. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Will Chromebooks with Android apps make actual Android tablets mean less?

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You mean less than their already next to nothing presence? ;)

Seriously though, I'd wager very few Android tablets purchased today are primarily used as productivity devices and Chromebooks are less than ideal as consumption devices so until we start seeing hybrid/convertible style Chromebooks/Chrometabs, don't think so.

22. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Perhaps Android apps on Chromebooks will be good for Android tablets. Problem with Android tablets is the lack of tablet-optimized apps. If Android apps on Chromebooks are to be successful, I would imagine developers will need to put effort into optimizing apps for larger displays (rather than just be content with phone-interface apps). Presumably this would also benefit tablets.

23. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

If I could hackintosh one that's around 200 euro, I might consider it. But that's like a plan-B maker project hobby thing then. Just to have something to do this winter. But I vote no- not interested any time soon to get one.

24. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

Once android apps are completely stable and new hybrid devices are released in the future, I can see it replacing the tablet. There are some necessary interface customizations needed to make chrome os more touch friendly when in tablet mode. I still believe they should have given pixel C owners access to chrome os at least as a developer option since that tablet doesn't measure up to what it actually offers.

25. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

According to Jerry Hildenbrand, the Pixel C was supposed to basically have Chrome OS whenever it was attached to the keyboard. Don't know what happened at the end.