[Poll] Do you still go on Engadget?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ss957916, Dec 8, 2009.

?

Since the redesign, do you visit Engadget:

1. More often

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Less often

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. About the same

29 vote(s)
    48.3%
  4. I never visit it anyway

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I used to go on Engadget daily but, since it's revamp it just hurts my eyes (and what is that odd dotty graph thing they have?!).

Do you prefer the new look or has it effected your 'enjoyment' of the site?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

4. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

To me, it doesn't seem easy on the eyes. It feels awkward to read.

I hate all his typography and fancy fonts on blogs.

5. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I don't like the fact that you have to scroll down to get to the new articles.

6. lucky518 macrumors member

I go to the site 5 or 6 times a day from the last 2 years

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. Hilmi Hamidi macrumors 6502

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope. I only go on those sites when I have a spare moment at work, and Engadget's redesign just takes way too long to render in IE7 on my work PC. Gizmodo only for me.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This whole rendering mechanics in IE6-7 drives me crazy. :mad: On the NYT website, the blog pages have some issue with IE at work, wherein they will almost completely load, with the text visible and one is perhaps even able to scroll through the page and most of the graphics. Then IE will have some issue with one element, and instead of just displaying the 98% of the page that is already rendered, will instead pop up a warning box and then divert the browser to an error page. Drives me insane.

WRT Engadget, I only really go there when redirected by posts here (MacBytes, etc) or via news.google.com....

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I visit Engadget about the same. I go there maybe twice a week at work. If I'm stuck somewhere and I'm bored, I'll visit the site on my iPhone.

That's why I have Google Chrome installed on my work PC. I also have Safari, but it tends to freeze a lot in Windows.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not allowed to have anything besides IE :(

If they would let me have Firefox installed, I'd do it in a heartbeat

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If only I could install anything on my work PC. At least I whined enough to get them to replace the awful CRT with burn-in with a reasonably nice LCD. And I did get them to install IE8, I think? Or maybe it's 7. Anyways it's not six. At least it has tabs.

I would gladly use any of the three major alternatives (I don't know if I'd rather use Opera, though :p ). Right now, I've put a couple weeks into using Chrome on my netbook and it's not half bad. I continue to use Firefox on my EeeBox.

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I used to go daily, but I think since the redesign I've been maybe four or five times. I just find it confusing, for some reason. Redesigns always take me a while to adjust, but I'm having a harder time with this one. I don't know why because I haven't bothered to analyze it. I go to Gizmodo and TUAW now.

15. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have a Live Bookmark in my bookmarks bar in Firefox. I'm still clicking about as many links since the redesign, although I think I like the old look better.

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's because gizmodo rips stories and stuff from engadget. I see something on engadget with images, shortly there after said images and story appears at gizmodo.

18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't like the redesign, but I don't think it has kept me from going to the site at all.

+1. Gizmodo came first, and Engadget was started by former Gizmodo employees who apparently left to get it right! With that said, I also read Gizmodo multiple times a day.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

For those stuck with IE, I believe google has an IE plugin that overrides rendering of IE with HTML5 capable engine.

20. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

Like the look, hate the layout. Articles need to start as far up the page as possible. They've gone the opposite route and put everything else they could possibly think of at the top of the page.

21. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i enjoy the new engadget design. However, i get all of my news through RSS, so i rarely see the engadget home page. I am more of a fan of gizmodo, but i check both out daily via google reader.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Depends.

iPhone orchestra article
    gizmodo December 3
    engadget December 7

23. iOrlando macrumors 68000

engadget gets the short-end of the stick from me.

I find that gizmodo, macrumors, and All things D tend to take care of most of my tech news.

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I visit it as frequently as before, but I also prefer the old 'simplistic' look to this new one.

25. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Running IE7 at work (no choice about it), the new look takes forever to render and scrolling is pretty horrible too. I ended up putting engadget.com on my Restricted Sites list so that it would render the page without any kind of scripting. This helps, but it's still slower than it was.

It seems I am not the only one!

Oh well, their loss...