[Poll] Do you think we will see Nvidia 'desktop class' mGPU's in the next rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supermariofan25, Aug 16, 2016.

?

Will there be NVidia's 'desktop class' mobile GPU's in the next rMBP?

1. Yay

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Nay

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  3. Nay, but maybe in new iMacs

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. AMD FTW

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Intel GPU only D:

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

Do you guys think that will will see the recently announced desktop class mobile GPU's in the next rMBP. It would be pretty nice to have a 1070 in a MacBook Pro or maybe i'm just dreaming. :rolleyes:

2. Gesturthor macrumors member

Im mostly excited about the 1060. I think that apple would not offer the 1080 simply because of cooling mechanism. We have seen the 1060 in the razor blade.

3. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

1060 notebook TDP will likely be too high (anything over 50W is probably a no-go). And usually that much GPU power isn't required in productivity software, at least for mobile.

We also don't know much about NVIDIA's lower end (i.e. lower TDP) GPUs, but AMD's been focusing on them (and the iMacs will probably use the same company) so I don't see any reason for Apple to choose NVIDIA at all. I think we'll see Polaris 11 in the 15" MBP and (mobile) Polaris 10 in the iMac. If they could somehow fit an RX 460/470 in there that'd be interesting but I doubt that very much.

Hopefully TB3 eGPUs can come in as a supplement.

4. killawat macrumors 65816

not

even

almost

you'll be lucky if you even get nvidia web drivers for eGPU setups cause Apple could turf that too.

5. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

We will not see the 1060, 1070 or any other Nvidia card in the coming model.
    Drivers for AMD is already found.
    if apple starts designing really expensive toasters or really cheap jet engines we can be sure it will have a 1080 ;)

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No it'll be AMD and from the benchmarks I've seen so far Polaris is not that far off the pace.

7. consumeritis macrumors member

I wish.

My ideal laptop would be a 13 or 14 inch macbook with a half-decent nvidia GPU (which as of today means 10-series - and ideally not the 1060 either), with pen support. Perhaps a convertible like the Surface Book.

Razer and Microsoft have proved that these things are possible.

But it won't happen. I don't think Apple have used an nvidia part for quite a few years now. And they don't seem interested in putting a dGPU in anything smaller than the 15".

My current Macbook continues to be the best laptop I've ever owned. But as far as upgrades go, a touch-sensitive function key strip doesn't excite me at all. Pen support and increased GPU power would.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- 2014, second newest MacBook Pro. Historically, Nvidia has been the most common chip in the line-up by far.

9. Voxis macrumors newbie

Voxis

10. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Answer is no. Polaris drivers are already in macOS Sierra.

11. ljjycss macrumors member

ljjycss

AMD's polaris 11 is quite disappointing. Mainly designed for laptop, but performance per watt is roughly Maxwell level. RX460 is the only Polaris 11 GPU on the market right now. Power consumption of rx460 is OK, but its performance is a little bit shy. On paper rx460 consumes less than 75w. All review I see were tested with some factory OC rx460 which consumes roughly 90w. If this year's new MBP was going to be smaller and thinner, dGPU would be a nerfed rx460 or something like a rx450. On contrast, Nvidia goes directly to high end market this year. 1080/1070/1060 for laptop are monsters with almost 90% performance of their desktop counterpart. However, even mobile 1060 would consume more than 75w. Currently, Pascal mobile is designed to work in huge gaming laptops. I think Nvidia might want to give low consumption GPU market to intel's iris pro while focusing on high end market.

12. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

1060 notebook allegedly takes 100W. That's still rather impressive.

It's quite a shame, because NVIDIA and AMD seem to be focusing on different target markets right now. But although NVIDIA's pushing more efficient GPUs, they don't have any lower end cards to compete with AMD's value ones. Vice versa for AMD. I would've gotten a GTX 1050 for my desktop if they released one, but now the RX 470 is pretty much my only choice for next-gen cards.

Fortunately the MBP is not a gaming laptop, so Polaris 11 will be fine, and also an improvement over the M370X.

13. masands macrumors regular

No but you might be able to buy a Surface Book 2 with a GTX1050